“Romancing the city of Charleston”

Ed Grimball's Walking Tour of Historic Charleston
Ranked #68 of 235 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Ed Grimball is a 12th generation Charlestonian whose family settled on Edisto Island in 1682 and has been here ever since. Ed opened his walking tour business in 1996 and would consider it a privilege to personally show you his city.Your tour will explore the cracks and crevices of old, beautiful Charleston, touching on many subjects such as the Civil War, the Great Earthquake, the Preservation Movement, and our magnificent architecture. Must sees on your tour include the Four Corners of Law, the Battery, and Rainbow Row.
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I cannot even begin to think about the right words to describe the exquisite experience I had on Ed’s tour. First of all it all started last year when I came to Charleston to work on a contract and decided to take a walking tour of this fascinating city, which I instantly fell in love with. I took a Saturday tour, not with Ed, but another tour guide. Unfortunately I did not care for the style of that particular tour guide. About half way through the tour I noticed another group closely following us. I immediately felt drawn to the nice relaxing style and pace of that white bearded southern gentleman - Ed. He just looked so organically intertwined with the very essence of Charleston the way I saw it. I finished my walking tour and managed to get Ed’s name out of our tour guide without being impolite. :-) It took me the whole year to actually arrange for the walking tour with Ed and he totally lived up to and way above my expectations. He absolutely adores this city, which he refers to as “She”, by the way. :-) It is a very long slow pace relaxing walk, which invites you to live and breathe a fantastically reach history and the deep and gentle soul of this old and beautiful city. This tour will offer you a unique opportunity to see Charleston through the eyes of the man who is passionately in love with “Her”.

1  Thank 170lona

Reviewed May 15, 2013

It is clear that Ed is very knowledgeable of this city that he clearly loves to present with such enthusiasm. But his courtly Southern manner, slow drawl and tendency to spend time on trivial pleasantries and cute anecdotes kept the flow of information to a mere trickle. It was clear to me that most of our group of 19 enjoyed him immensely. But for the amount of time spent my friend and I were frustrated that we learned so little.

1  Thank johnrsterling
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Ed was just amazing. Perfect southern gentlemen and he was the best tour guide I've ever had including Italy. Gave us the best tour and knew everyone. One Charleston resident drove up, let us into his house and we tasted his special moonshine.

2  Thank Bccbdad
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Ed is a very knowledgeable and genuine tour guide. His leisurely tour was a pleasurable experience. His southern charm and personality was likeable. He was responsive to our needs as a group and he did a fine presentation all while welcoming our one year old baby! Thank you Ed!

1  Thank profesora_global
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Mr. Grimball's tour was recommended to me by a friend and I am so glad we followed his advice. Mr. Grimball was very knowledgeable and super friendly. His love and respect for Charleston was evident in everything he said. If I could rate him higher, I would. The tour was about three hours long, and if I could have hung out with Mr. Grimball all day I would have.

1  Thank jennifer h