“Old Jail tour, what a rip off”
Review of Bulldog Tours

Haunted Jail Walking Tour in Charleston
Ranked #32 of 234 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bulldog Tours is Charleston's best walking tour company featuring ghost tours, history tours, and culinary tours. From Charleston’s enchanting graveyards and cobblestone streets to its hidden gardens of antebellum mansions, Bulldog Walking Tours let's you experience all the charm the city has to offer. We’ll give you a taste of Charleston’s best kitchens, a few friendly ghost stories, or a glimpse in time via The Battery, Rainbow Row, and so much more. With a variety of walking tours operating 365 days a year, we have plenty to explore for the foodie and history buffs alike. Featured on The Travel Channel, CNN, History Channel, Food Network, Southern Living, USA Today, NPR, and New York Times.
Reviewed August 7, 2009

So I was really excited about seeing the old jail in charleston and going on the bull dog tour. Well the jail itself was pretty cool, but the foundation that owns and keeps up repairs has all this junk (tables, chairs, tv, tools, etc...) in there. I know that is not the tours fault. The tour was a rip off because they only take you around the outside of the jail, then you get to go in three whole rooms inside (major let down), and the tour is over. We did not even get to go in half the jail. Some of the stories were okay, but the guide wasted so much time talking about possible orb sitings it took away from the tour. Susan our tour guide was lame too. She is not a very good tour guide. Then at the end of the tour I asked why we do not get to see the rest of the jail, and Susan's response was theres only 45 minutes. I feel if she kept us moving more and spent less time repeating the same stuff over and over, we could cover more jail. Hopefully the rest of their tours do not stink as bad as the jail tour. Not worth 18 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank firedancer129

Reviewed August 5, 2009

This is the second Bulldog tour that my fiancee and I have taken, and by far the better of the two.

The tour took place walking through several commercial parts of town, the guide stopping to show several historic buildings, and explain their significance. Apparently, a recent city ordinance has forbidden tours in the residential areas after a certain time in the evenings.

Our tour guide was named Lane. When he first introduced himself, he seemed a little odd, and we were unsure of what this tour would be like. However, he showed an amazing knowledge and a strong passion for the topics. He was a little quirky in his delivery. He sometimes pauses a little too long before speaking, and he tended to mix tenses, sometimes talking about the topic at hand as if it were in current times, and sometimes as if it were in the past. However, this did not detract from the tour at all. In fact, his eccentric delivery was the thing that my fiance and I liked most about the tour.

This is a rated R tour, and some of the language and subject matter would not be appropriate for young children, but don't make the mistake that some have of believing that this is going to be a wild, presentation, diving heavily into historic Charleston's depravities. It is slow-paced, thorough, and informative, but nothing to cause the faint of heart to collapse. Taking that into account, I would definitely recommend both Bulldog's "Dark Side of Charleston" tour, and the guide, Lane to anyone considering them.

1  Thank ChrisNMichelle
Reviewed July 3, 2009

What to say,what to say?Well im on the fence about what to say.Well ok first of all trying to find the Bulldog Tours building is an adventure in itself.Not to mention the tours start around dinnertime and downtown is FULL of cars and its very hard to find a place.I recommend doing what my cousins and i did wich was eating dinner downtown and then going.When we finally got there the group was just starting to form.It was a late one i think 9:00 or 10:00 and or group was small maybe 8 peopel not including myself and my 2 cousin.When the tour startedn i could already tell i was gonna like him,(Im sorry i forget his name.)He was very interesting and seemed to know what he was talking about.Then the stories started.Nothing was really scary about them.The only scary aspect is the fact that it was dark and late at night.Not to mention at times we were not anywhere near where the stories were taking place at times,Honestly only 2 of the many stories we were told i would lable as "scary".THe others were interesting though.Imon the fence though.Ifb your looking for a scare i would not recommend it.

Reviewed June 25, 2009

We did the Ghost and Dungeon tour and it was lame. The time you get in the dungeon is very brief and then we spent nearly a half hour at one location while the guide talked about ghosts in places we were nowhere near. I wanted to see the buildings she was talking about. If I just wanted the stories I could have bought a book. Most of what she talked about was history, which is important in some cases, but in a lot of cases it seemed to be just her going off on tangents. It was almost like she was attempting stand-up comedy in some sections and it was mostly lame. At one point it was almost like a private party for three while she held a mini-conversation in the middle of a ghost story with two of the other people on the tour. At one point she actually asked us if we wanted to keep walking or just sit and hear the stories - um, I think they're called ghost tours, tour implies movement! I want to see the places we're talking about! It was boring and we left before it was over.

4  Thank MoonliteMaven
Reviewed June 4, 2009

My two friends and I went on this tour in April and we had a very good time. I believe our tour guide was TJ. We parked near the jail but also missed the parking lot. I will warn you, the jail is not located in a nice part of Charleston. The neighborhood is almost as scary as the tour! We did see one police cruiser parked nearby, but I would NOT walk to this tour. Drive for sure.

TJ was a great storyteller and he led us around the jailyard before taking us into the building. His tales of horror and woe were outstanding and freaked us ladies out. (We may be easily scared, though). The building is creepy and imposing. There are not a lot of scare tactics on this tour, but we all loved it nonetheless. The annoying thing is that you have to purchase your tickets down on the waterfront and then go to the jail. You can't purchase tickets at the jail.