“Two very different dining experiences.”
Review of Oak Steakhouse

Oak Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Oak Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 911 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Charlestowne
Cross street: State Street
north jersey
“Two very different dining experiences.”
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I have been to the Oak Steakhouse twice. After my first vist, I would have given it an excellent review. My second visit was a different story. I had made a reservation a week in advance and confirmed the reservation two days prior to our meal. We arrived to find that a table was not available and were told to wait at the bar. It was a Sunday night and I had a reservation. There should not have been a wait. About fifteen minutes later, our table was ready, right next to the bathroom. Charming. The chopped salads were not what I would classify as chopped salads. Just a standard ordinary salad - that costs $12 by the way. Our steaks were good but I have had comparable elsewhere. One member of my party had the pork chops. He enjoyed this dish very much. The gorgonzola cottage fries were great. The parmesam potato au gratin was very dense and not something that I would order again. I'm not sure if I will give this place another try. For the price that you are paying, it should be a great meal every time you dine here.

Apopka, Florida
“Over-Priced and Pretentious”
Reviewed January 3, 2009

We went to Oak Steakhouse to celebrate our friend's birthday - he choose it. We were really looking forward to excellent food and excellent service. Instead, it was mediocre....at best. Our steaks were no better than at a low-end steakhouse and the "roasted' mushrooms had been steamed and were not only gray and unappetizing looking, they were also completely tasteless. The French-fried onion rings absolutely failed in the taste department too. There are so many great restaurants in Charleston.....don't waste your money on this one.

kookipus
“horrible”
Reviewed December 31, 2008

do not waste your money at the oaks. when we first arrived we where told our table was ready, but we would have to wait cause there was a problem with dishwasher.?. the steaks are flavorless cheap cuts of beef, even the spiced/sugared up pittsburg style, the lobster mac and cheese is nothing but over powering cheese with a few pieces of way over cooked lobster and shrimp. we had okra for a side which was ok. the water/wine glasses on the table where dirty with lipstick. The service is nothing special, it is the same service you would receive from an applebees server. there are plenty of other restaurants,such as mcradys, in charleston to have a great meal. don't waste your time or money.

San Francisco, California
“The Oak! Top Notch”
Reviewed December 23, 2008

I have been to all types of steak houses. Peter Lugers, Mortons, Sullivans, Capital Grille, Chicago Chop House, Gibsons...etc etc.

The Oak hangs with them all! Great steaks, but the atmosphere of the old bank building with the huge pieces of glass-3 floors, just the best place for a great dinner, or a special event.

The the poster who tried to compare Carabba's to The Oak...I never laughed so hard in my life. The Chef Brett McKee happens to come from Brooklyn NYC...and made it to the Top 5 Chefs for Chef's of the Year for 2008. I mean come on.

If you are in town, and want an unreal steak...do go.

1 Thank LostEdge
NC
“The finest”
Reviewed December 17, 2008

This is the finest restaurant at which we have ever dined!!! We now live in Western NC, but lived in NY and metropolitan NJ most of our lives and have been to many great restaurants, but this is the finest! We visited Charleston for our 40th anniversary and dined at the Oaks. We were so impressed that we returned to the restaurant 2 nights later. If anyone finds anything wrong with this establishment, they truly need to re-examine their expectations and attitude.