“WOW!!!!”
Review of Oak Steakhouse

Oak Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Oak Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 926 Restaurants in Charleston
Cross street: State Street
Virginia
“WOW!!!!”
Reviewed November 25, 2007

This place is excellent! My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary there last evening. It was undoubtedly the best steak we have EVER eaten. The filet melted in our mouths. The service was impeccable! Great ambiance. It was a special way to spend our anniversary.

South Charlotte
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“NOT focused on food!”
Reviewed September 21, 2007

My family and I just returned from the Charleston, SC and did have dinner at the “highly” reviewed Oak Steakhouse. First and foremost, the highlight of the meal had to be chief Brett McKee and his ability to channel all of his “self-absorbed” talents into photo shoots, his BMW getting the front row parking spot, the loud cowboy boots (that on a side note - resembled my wife’s), and of course his insecurity complex. My wife and I both ordered the 7oz fillet’s that when served seemed to be no more than 4 oz. The lobster tail that I added (for a mere $18) had been served spongy and also shy of the ordered 4 oz. On the positive side, my wife’s crab cake was perfect as ordered and consumed. Our family meal totaled $198.00 including only “ONE” glass of wine and three sodas’ or pops…soft drinks. This meal was not worth half of that total. Additionally, the water servers were great. They kept my family’s glasses full and continually asked, “if we needed anything?”
Finally, I am glad to have witnessed this chief and his team in action…more so the arrival of Mr. McKee…that was the most memorable event from the family trip to Charleston. And one side note – if you do disregard this review and question that one man could be so self-absorbed; take a quick trip up the stairway and check-out the 12 or so paintings of…HIMSELF (too funny). For now I will take this review and the results of our Oak Steakhouse experience and share it with my working network and golfing network. Recommendation: The Palm, Hyde Park, Daisy Mae’s, Morton’s, Ruth’s Chris are all much much more deserving of your dollar than the Oak Steakhouse.

1 Thank FM-Engr
NYC
“Best meal I've ever had”
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I simply cannot say enough about how phenomenal this meal was. The steaks that both my husband and I ordered were simply perfect. I suppose they were a *bit* underdone for the technical definition of what we ordered, but the meat was of such a high quality that I can't complain about that at all. The wine list was extensive and varies, and our server very knowledgeable about what kind of wines we may like with our meals and based on other types that we like. Prior to the meal, we received a basket of delectable freshly made breads and crackers, and then our appetizer (a gorgonzola fondue) arrived. Six months later, my mouth still waters when I think about it. As I said before, the steaks were not quite as well-done as we had ordered (a medium rare and a medium), but that was a blessing as being cooked more thoroughly may well have ruined the flavor. Know that the side dishes are meant to be shared: we ordered a serving of mashed sweet potatoes that we could not finish between the two of us, but it was definitely worth the attempt! They were very sweet, almost like eating a dessert with the meal (an exaggeration, of course). Speaking of dessert, I am sorry to say that we did not have room left over to try any, but we do plan to return to have some later.
This meal was expensive, and while I would love to eat here again, I do know that it is highly unlikely. It's a great spot to impress!

1 Thank mel3Nyc
new york
“Good food, but not exceptional”
Reviewed June 10, 2007

The food was very tasty, but very expensive. The drinks were watered down. Surprising for an expensive steak house. The service however, was very good. Good food, but wouldn't return. Too many excellent restaurants to try in Charleston.

Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Better places to go in Charleston”
Reviewed December 21, 2006

My fiancee and I made a reservation at the Oak Steakhouse 1.5 weeks early. We intentionally made our reservation early in the evening (5:30 pm) so that we could have a quiet romantic dinner and also have a "good" table, something with a view perhaps. We told them when making the reservation that we would be there on our honeymoon. The restaurant called that afternoon to confirm our reservation for one. Seems that they would have known by us telling them we would be there on our honeymoon that there were two of us. When we arrived the restaurant was completely empty. We were led to the third floor and seated in the center of the room. We asked to be moved to a window seat, but were told the window seats were reserved. This was definately not the romantic atmosphere that we had in mind. Our server was impeccable. He was very attentive and probably one of the best servers that I have ever had. He brought us a complimentary glass of champagne and congratulated us on our wedding. The food was ok, but nothing to write home about. Our bill was $140 for 2 steak dinners, and we felt the food was not worth the price. Only one of the window seats had been seated when we left, the other two were empty. This restaurant did not offer the experience that we were looking for on our honeymoon. We will be in Charleston again on future anniversaries but this is one dinner we won't repeat.

4 Thank Curliehead