“What a shame.”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Church Street
Description: Located in the heart of historic Charleston, Tristan is a place where the ingredients are simple and the cuisine will take your taste buds for an unexpected ride. Executive Chef Nate Whiting presents diners with inspired twists on traditional ingredients – something that The Post & Courier calls “[Making] the simple, sublime.” A Mobile AAA Four Diamond Restaurant, Tristan has over 400 labels in our extensive wine cellar. From special occasions to simple celebrations, Tristan invites you to come and experience fine dining at its very best.
SC, USA
“What a shame.”
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Late lunch (2:30PM on August 2, 2007) Waited 40 minutes for our food, even though there were only a dozen other people in the restaurant. Waiter explained they were having trouble "with the breading of the chicken." (???) I didn't need to know that. We were very disappointed with the pretentious tiny portions and exorbitant prices of this restaurant. My $9 margarita had little if any alcohol at all. When the chicken arrived, it was raw inside. I was very put off and said so. Wait staff kept peeking at us to see if we were going to leave, I suppose. What a poor showing for such a nicely situated restaurant. Our lunch cost us $42.59 with tip and we went out for snacks afterward because we were still hungry. The only good thing about Tristan was their beautiful powder room.

1 Thank ThatWouldBeMeSc_Usa

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Pricey, but fantastic service!”
Reviewed July 3, 2007

My wife and I recently ate at Tristan, and it really was a treat. I had the lamb rib-eye, and she had the butterfish. Both were extraordinary. The service was exceptional - very attentive. As another reviewer mentioned, the restaurant is pretty pricey, but I think the food lived up to the price. We visited restaurant.com and purchased one of their discount certificates to save few dollars. Overall, I would definitely dine here again.

Charleston, SC
“Way Overpriced!”
Reviewed February 4, 2007

We live and eat in downtown Charleston a lot. We chose to go to Tristan for New Year's Eve dinner because it was a 5 course meal and a Brazilian Orchestra. The service was excellent, the food was OK, the prices were HIGH, and there was NO orchestra! Our meal for 2 came to $398!! We will never go there again. There are far better restaurants with reasonable prices in Charleston: FIG, Il Cortile Del Rey, Mercato, Slightly North of Broad, Fulton Five, Peninsular Grill, Charleston Grill, Blossom, Magnolias. Elena Lamberson, Charleston, SC

1 Thank ESL
Long Beach, CA
“Don't Trust the Waiter”
Reviewed October 11, 2006

My party consisted of my 81 yr old mother, two sisters, and myself. We had just come in from traveling all day, were very tired, and were very casually dressed, not really appropriate for this restaurant, but we inquired first and they seated us anyway. We went in early to be gone by the dinner crowd. We were also pressed for time because we were scheduled to start the Fall Candlelight home tour in an hour all of which we told to our waiter. We ordered salads and appetizers. We asked the waiter to pick an appropriate wine. When we got the bill, his selection cost $75!!! This was highly inappropriate. Given our circumstances, it should have been obvious that we were not going to be leisurely savoring the restaurant's fare or atmosphere and that we were not big spenders (although the combination of salads and appetizers averaged more than $25 each) .
We felt the waiter's behavior was mean-spirited and an attempt to make up for our light food selections. We left a complaint with the day manager the next day but have yet to hear back.
Despite elegant food, we would not patronize this restaurant again because of our treatment there.

2 Thank SafariSue
Mankato, MN
“AMAZING!!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2006

Tristan creates an amazing experience each and every time I dine with them. The food is out of this world, the service is outstanding and the ambiance is one of the best in Charleston. Pure consistency gives Tristan a 5 from me!

2 Thank MN123