“Great Tour”

Two Sisters Historic Walking Tours
Ranked #2 of 235 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the charm of Charleston in a two hour walking tour with genuine local flavor. Join native Charlestonian sisters Mary Helen Dantzler and Therese Smythe, whose family dates from 1793, as you stroll through Charleston's most beautiful streets and scenic alleyways.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

When we contacted one of the leading tour guides listed in Trip Advisor, he referred us to Two Sisters for a private family tour of Charleston since he was booked. We are glad for the referral as Mary Helen was wonderful: highly informative, entertaining, humourous, and infused with a passion for the history and charms of Charleston. The tour was a bit more than two hours, but even the teenagers in our group were engaged. One of the better tour guides we've had and would take another tour again!

MHD2sisters, Owner at Two Sisters Historic Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

It was my pleasure to be with your wonderful big family and to share in your mother's birthday celebration. I'm glad y'all had a good time! Thanks for your kind words. Mary Helen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Took the walking tour by Therese with my wife and mother. Pace was good. Received good information and had a good look at the city and learnt about some of its history. We did this tour on the first afternoon that we arrived so it was a good introduction to get our bearings for walking around over the next few days. Therese was very knowledgeable and personable. We all enjoyed the tour very much.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

My sister-in-law and I, along with my daughter, decided to take a one-day excursion to Charleston during a family vacation to Myrtle Beach SC. After reviewing several tours on Trip Advisor, I booked a walking tour with the Two Sisters. Mary Helen responded immediately, and was very flexible; as the group was indecisive as to which day to visit Charleston. After corresponding back and forth, we decided on a Weds. For our tour, which would be her sister Mary Therese's day for tours. Coincidentally, that is my sister -in-law's name as well. So, we laughed at having two Mary Therese's, a Mary Helen, and a Mary Joy! We are the same ages as well, so we thought it serendipitous that we should meet. Mary Helen even came along on the tour to meet us and take a picture with us. It is now posted on their Facebook page. Being 7th generation Charlestonians, they are full of stories about the history of Charleston, along with some infamous stories as well. This is just the type of tour we were looking for, and we're saddened when the tour had to end. Mary Therese was happy to make recommendations for where to go, and what to see foe the remainder of our time in Charleston. You always hear about Southern hospitality, and the Mary Helen and Mary Therese are proof that southern hospitality still does exist. Thank you ladies, for a wonderful tour, and looking forward to coming back to Charleston and looking them up!

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We took a tour with Mary Helen and she is great. She is a native Charlestonian and knows everything about this beautiful city. Mary Helen knows all the short cuts to get around. My husband had recent knee replacement surgery and was able to take this tour with no problems. Mary Helen even recommended some great restaurants. This tour is highly recommended.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

My mother and I booked this wonderful & informative tour with Mary Helen last minute. However, she was happy to take us and spent over two hours covering the vast history of Charleston. It was very hot outside, but she tried her absolute best to keep us in shaded areas. Mary Helen and her sister grew up in Charleston and know things about the city no tour company could possibly share with you. When I called to book the tour, she spent time asking what we hope to accomplish during our visit and recommended popular restaurants that the locals love to dine at. You can book either a 10:30am or 2:30pm tour any day of the week. It covers roughly 2 miles and you learn so much from beginning to end. We are so happy we began our vacation with a tour like this!