“Long-billed Curlew Birding trip”

Coastal Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Coastal Expeditions' mission is to take people to beautiful places to experience meaningful things by kayak, SUP, canoe and powerboat. Founded in 1992, Coastal Expeditions is the original outfitter in Charleston, South Carolina and is a family business with a team of exceptional, big-hearted guides. Saltwater and blackwater tours and rentals are available year round from several wildlife-laden spots, including 4 private on-water outposts at Folly, Shem Creek, Isle of Palms and the Bulls Island Ferry.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The guides were all very experienced birders of shorebirds. They also knew which, where and what location to find the well sought after Long-billed Curlew, with timing of the tides. We were rewarded with awesome looks of the Curlews and views of very secretive Seaside and Nelson Sparrows. My only concern is that hopefully, they will NEVER stop running this birding trip. I look forward to returning to McCellanville to make this an annual event.
Pam F.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,039)
All reviews
in 11 reviews
"great trip"
in 48 reviews

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I were visiting Charleston and wanted to get out see some of the natural area outside the City. We stumbled upon Coastal Expeditions and set up a 6 hour, 10-mile kayak trip on Echaw Creek. We didn't know what to expect. We had ready the website description of the black water creek, but hadn't experienced it before. We had a surprisingly great day. Within an hour drive of Charleston, you are totally removed from all civilization. We saw 2 people the entire day. It was truly a peaceful day with just ourselves and nature.

Our guide, Gates, was very knowledgeable and even loaned my husband and I jackets, as we weren't totally prepared for the chilly morning.

I would highly recommend this for anyone wanting to get out of the city and experience some of the natural areas.

1  Thank KathyFWatkins
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My family booked a tour to the Morris Lighthouse in hopes of seeing dolphins on the extended tour. We canoe at home and were not too worried about the length of the trip in spite of the fact we had our 6-yr old with us. It was just us and our guide, Wick, and as we stepped out of the car the amount of wind worried me immediately. We discussed the wind direction, what it would mean for trip, etc and that we could alter plan as needed, got quick amount of instructions and took off.

It was some hard paddling at first going into the wind but we were soooo glad we stuck with it. After a turn we had some wind block for a while and were able to work a little less and talk a little more. It felt like there was not a question I could come up with that he could not answer and he was great at pointing out things I wouldn't have thought to ask. He went out of his way to cater and point things to the 6-yr old and was good at coaching/encouraging him to keep paddling even though my husband did most of the work.

We were about 2/3rd into the trip to the lighthouse when the first dolphin appeared. We followed him all the way in and then watched several feeding on the bank. We took a leisurely stroll along the beach with Wick pointing out lots of different things about shells, etc. A bonus was the butterflies that were all over the field where we pulled up the kayaks. The dolphins stayed with us for a good way back as well. I have to say the trip would have been great if we had not seen dolphins but we did love that we got to see them.

The trip back was much easier as wind with us and we made good time. it was however overall a bit of a paddle. The people that took the reservation did a pretty good job explaining what would be involved as did Wick before we started so I feel like I was able to make a good, and in my case, right decision. The one thing I hadn't thought about being different from home was that there was no getting out along the way. Kayaking in AR you just pull to the bank, get out and stretch your legs, etc when you need to. That would be the only bit of info I might have suggested adding when we were chatting....but then again...I probably would have made the same decision.

This is a great way to mix a little native outdoors with a city vacation and I would highly recommend it. A special thanks to Wick for all he did.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Our three-hour kayak trip was an in-depth exploration of the estuary environment with our guide Lonnie. His vast knowledge of the area and the wildlife was amazing. We learned so much about the wildlife and birds and the history of Charleston too. We saw dolphins within the first five minutes, followed by a shark and some rare birds. We loved the trip; it was filled with insight about the coastal wildlife and environment. Lonnie was a fun and informative guide. We would highly recommend him, particularly if you have children along.