“Summer kayaking camp.”

Coastal Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Coastal Expeditions' mission is to take people to beautiful places to experience meaningful things by kayak, SUP, canoe and powerboat. Founded in 1992, Coastal Expeditions is the original outfitter in Charleston, South Carolina and is a family business with a team of exceptional, big-hearted guides. Saltwater and blackwater tours and rentals are available year round from several wildlife-laden spots, including 4 private on-water outposts at Folly, Shem Creek, Isle of Palms and the Bulls Island Ferry.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Stroller parking, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We live in Mt. Pleasant. This is the best summer camp in the area! My son couldn't wait to return this summer. Spending the day out on the Charleston water while seeing the nature in the area can't be beat! My son saw dolphin, manatee and was thrilled that a shrimp jumped on his kayak! The staff is phenomenal with the kids. I can't recommend the camp enough!

CoastalEx, Manager at Coastal Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how much your son enjoyed his week of kayak camp. It makes our day! Our guides enjoy all of the kids so much, and it means a lot to get feedback from a parent.

We hope to see y'all next summer!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was the first time I had ever been in a kayak and I was kind of nervous though excited. But the tour guide gave us a short instruction session and let us take a bit of time to get used to the feel of the boat in the water before we set off down the creek and out into the harbour. After 5 minutes of bumping into the other 7 participants, including my husband, I soon got the hang of using both the paddle and the foot steering pedals and managed to keep up with the rest of the group. We saw an amazing colony of sea birds on a nearby sand bank, including hundreds of pelicans, sea birds, black skimmers etc. Then we rowed across a stretch of the harbour water and back along the Mount Pleasant coast. I had been afraid that I would not be able to keep paddling for 2 hours, but the pace was leisurely and it wasn't a problem, though I was ready for a rest and had a huge appetite for supper at nearby Vickery's afterwards! Thanks to Traveling Ink for recommending the trip and well done Coastal Expeditions team!

CoastalEx, Manager at Coastal Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

It sounds like a great day on the water (including dinner!). We love that you enjoyed the pace of the trip and pre-tour instruction. At the heart of it all, we're really just using kayaks as a way to experience nature in a way that you couldn't otherwise. Perfect for beginners, families, nature lovers....And you can't beat the Charleston Harbor.

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We personally live here in the Charleston area and this was our 3rd trip with Coastal Expeditions to Bull Island.
I will admit that we were not prepared the first time we went. We did not pack enough water, came with 2 teenagers and 2 toddlers in early august...What were we thinking, I know, we didn't.
My husband and I researched the island and booked another trip with our son and spent the entire day on the island with our mountain bikes (which is an awesome way to get around the island if you have the correct tires)
I recommend getting up early to get the early ferry and spend the entire day!
Our friends came down this year and we had a girls trip out to the Island, spent the whole day beach combing. Explored the Boneyard then worked our way south and came home with over 45 sand dollars, 14+ welch shells (various sizes)

CoastalEx, Manager at Coastal Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

We love your pictures! It sounds like the perfect day on the beach--- and what a day for shells and sand dollars.

We totally agree about needing to be prepared for the adventure. Coastal Expeditions trips are designed to be real experiences, and knowing what to expect is important. We're working on our website know to expand on FAQ's (and we encourage anyone who has a question to call us before they go!).

Hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Me and my friend did the Bull's Island Beach Drop on Sunday, July 21, 2013. Capt. Chris and First Mate Wil was great and very informative. The ride over to Bull's Island was enjoyable. Found alot of shells and great place to walk on the beach and take pictures of the beautiful island. Not even rain dampened our spirits. Be sure to take with you comfortable shoes that can handle wet conditions and don't forget the bug spray. Hat is recommended for the sun and if they are calling for any chance of rain, be sure to take a jacket. Along with snacks and water. Be sure to take with you a bag for the treasures you will find on this beautiful island. Will go back to Bull's Island, you can't take it all in the three hours you have.

We're so glad that you enjoyed the Beach Drop! It's definitely become one of our most popular trips into the refuge. It's stunning to depart onto such a long stretch of uninhabited, undeveloped coastline, isn't it?

And thanks for the traveler tips. Bug spray, hat and a few essentials are a must!

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I booked a guided tour and a tandem kayak for a Saturday morning on Shem Creek. We have been kayaking a number of times in the past but we are new to the area and preferred a guided kayak tour and without question I am glad we did. Rachel was our guide and she was great. First, her pre-trip instruction on use of the kayaks and paddle technique was the best of any I have participated in. This was especially helpful since we were using cockpit style kayaks instead of the sit-on-top style that I am used to. Second, Rachel was very knowledgeable about the area including the history and the plants and wildlife.
We saw several dolphins while we were paddling in the creek as well as many species of birds. I also like that they keep their groups smaller; there were only four of us on our trip plus our guide. There were originally four more expected but they cancelled, maybe because the weather looked iffy. Some other places take a dozen or more at a time.

Shem Creek is a great place to kayak because there is so much to see and it is a fairly easy paddle.

CoastalEx, Manager at Coastal Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

We're so gad that you enjoyed your Shem Creek adventure with Rachel! It's hard to believe that she's a first year guide, isn't it?

It means a lot to us that you appreciate the pre-tour lesson and smaller group size. We've been leading tours for over 20 years, and we believe both of these things are crucial to an enjoyable tour.

We hope to see you again!