“Authentic wood fired pizzeria experience”
Review of DeSano Pizza Bakery - CLOSED

DeSano Pizza Bakery
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed August 3, 2014

My family and I ate here for lunch at the recommendation of my younger brother after a day at the SC Aquarium just down the street a few blocks. The entire dinning experience was awesome. The kids loved seeing the dough tossing and the pizzas being dressed. Watching the pizzas bake in the oven really adds to the unique flair of the open kitchen layout. Food is fantastic and the fresh ingredients really come out in the wood fired ovens. Staff was super friendly, and really made it fun with the kids by giving them some fresh dough to play with. Great place for feeding larger groups with oversized long tables (we had 8 adults and 4 kids). Without a doubt, this is a gem of a place, and I can't wait until the next time I'm back in town!

1  Thank CUrob

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Probably the single cleanest pizza shop / restaurant I have been in , EVER !!!

As mentioned felt like a Seinfeld episode on some of the do's and don'ts that they can and can not do when ordering. But MINOR after you test this pizza. We all left craving more

Great job, best in town

1  Thank Joe M
Reviewed July 21, 2014

You really have to be looking for this restaurant to find it...it's north of downtown Charleston, in a little, kind of run-down neighborhood. It looks new & has an industrial meets Italian wood burning pizza oven kind of feel, with concrete floors and iron & wood bar-height tables and stools, with some outside seating. You order at the counter and then find a seat. If you go to the back room, you can see the three huge wood burning pizza ovens and the mixing room, with stacks of the imported flour, tomatoes, etc. lining the room, as well as three large screen tvs. There is a nice selection of pizzas to order & they only take about one minute to bake. We've been there two times in the last two weeks...our first was the Margherita...the second was the Verdura (with broccoli rabe/mush./tom./buffalo mozz.). Both were delicious with a smoky, thin, chewy crust and perfect ratio of toppings to crust. The pizza tastes so light and fresh that you can easily eat a whole pizza, and gelato, and feel good about what you just ate. There is a good selection of Italian wines and beers, as well as a great assortment of gelato, and biscotti. Well worth the drive!

1  Thank sc1009
Reviewed July 12, 2014

All I can say is that I love DeSano pizza. We ordered ours with artichoke hearts, mushrooms and prosciutto. The crust was crispy and the side of marinara tasted like my grandmother's Sunday sauce. It was very quiet when we were there and we were able to speak to the staff and owner who told us that he will be renovating to make the spacious rooms even more diner friendly. I loved the atmosphere and the staff were wonderful and accommodating. I went to a small party afterwards and told everyone there about DeSano. When your visiting Charleston you must go there for pizza. The location is a little difficult to find but it's well worth it.

1  Thank Diane R
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Found this place using Tripadvisor and enjoyed it. Their thin crust pizza is outstanding. Shared a large pizza with my spouse, and even after eating it, I was craving some more because it was so good. Highly recommend this place and hopes this restaurant does well (believed it just recently opened). This place is off the beaten path in my opinion which I see is the only negative thing about it. Took me a few extra minutes to find the space, despite using IPhone GPS.

1  Thank T W