“Crab”

West Ashley Crab Shack
Ranked #109 of 967 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The West Ashley Crab Shack is conveniently located between Downtown & The Gardens. Specializing in local seafood cuisine with a southern flare. With easy access and large parking lot, able to accommodate tour buses as well as individual parking.West Ashley Crab Shack is wheelchair accessible and family oriented. Children are a specialty, with a full-page children’s menu meant for coloring, to a treasure chest of goodies to make the children smile. West Ashley Crab Shack has seating to accommodate all sizes of groups. From single dining to banquets, with a group menu capable of buffets to business lunches. Private dining room available upstairs with individual climate & music controls to fit all occasions.For winding down after work, try out our Happy Hour from 4-7. Offering a relaxing adult atmosphere with great Happy Hour food & drink specials. You will always find a friend at The West Ashley Crab Shack for Happy Hour.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We went for the all you can eat crab legs. They were awesome. As always they are a lot of work. I think they are worth it. My spouse doesn't so I have to crack both of our crab legs. Still worth it for me. Awesome!

1  Thank ckmhoward

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I've visited their restaurant on Folly Beach many times and had great experiences. This place is completely different. After a five minute wait at the door, our waitress says "Oh I didn't know you were here" and sits us at the closest table to the kitchen with an almost empty restaurant.

We ordered drinks and waited and waited and waited. The waitresses were all at the end of the bar chit chatting. We finally walked up to the bar to check on our drinks. The guy behind the bar asked what we ordered. We had to tell him our beers several times. He finished pouring his shot and walked to the other side of the bar drinking it while we were still waiting. Waitress was very friendly after that and told us that wasn't the bartender behind the bar. It was the general manager and she said he was allowed to drink. I don't mind if he drinks as long as we can too!

We ordered fried shrimp and pot pie. The waitress said the kitchen got our side items wrong, but never did fix them. Shrimp was bland but pot pie was pretty decent. We had asked the manager about having an engagement party there, but he didn't seem very interested. We certainly weren't interested after the meal. We still left 20% because the waitress said she had a child, but we didn't want to leave anything.

Overall, it was just a bad evening. The floors looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years and dust was all over the junk on the walls and the ceilings.

1  Thank Keri R
CharlestonCrab, Owner at West Ashley Crab Shack, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

My Name is Steven Jones and I am the owner of the West Ashley Crab Shack. I am alarmed and dismayed at your experience. I want you to know that everyone’s behavior that night is not our standard and I want to personally apologize for your experience. You should be able to come to any Crab Shack and get the same great service and food. Please come back as my guest, so that we can make this up to you.
We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

GREAT waitress, was not crowded, free parking and the food was awesome!! Will be returning on our next trip to charleston

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I came back here after having a bad experience the servers were outstanding Louis, gave the most pleasurable service anyone could ever experience, he was very attentive never once did I go without missing or needing anything, also another server greeted us so warmly his name was Kenny he was also very courteous and outstanding even though he didn't wait on us. The manager NEVER once came to personally apologize for the previous experience, he walked by our table NUMEROUS amounts of times, and didn't even acknowledge that we were sitting there, it almost seems as if he had an attitude because we previously had a bad experience. Due to the wonderful experience from the servers I would visit again, but the manager is a VERY POOR EXCUSE FOR A MANAGER REALLY AND THIS NEEDS TO BE LOOKED INTO... Obviously from reading other reviews this isn't the first time.

2  Thank Megan D
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Our first trip to Charleston we stopped at this restaurant after reading reviews in TA, our objective for lunch was seafood, outdoor seating and water view. This restaurant had all 3 requirements. It was not very busy for the lunch service. The view from our table was very good since we could pick almost any table we wanted since there was only another couple outside. The only problem at our table was the noise from the fans and there is quite a bit of traffic noise, do to busy street being next to the restaurant with the only buffer of evergreen trees.

After ordering my local craft beer, we decided to start with shrimp and grits in bbq, this was our first experience with this type of dish and quite frankly it was a very good choice, the flavor combination was excellent. For the main dish we shared the Charleston Steamed Seafood Bucket that contains mussels, corn, sausage, shrimp, crab clusters, potatoes and onions in a special butter sauce.

This is a very good selection but a messy choice, since it is covered in a butter sauce, when cracking the crab, it was difficult to have a firm grip. You need to wear a bib otherwise you are wearing it. Enough food for both of us. They serve a complimentary hush puppies with every meal that was very tasty, light and sweet.

Overall the service was very good, location and view are also very good. One problem that I experienced was the hot water temperature in the bathroom, it was boiling hot, instant burn, when I reported the problem to the hostess she said our water is hot.