“A "Must-Visit"”

Leyla Fine Lebanese Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Leyla Fine Lebanese Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 971 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Lebanese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Leyla Fine Lebanese Cuisine offers authentic Lebanese dishes, in an upscale yet friendly environment. The extensive menu is a treat to everyone, whether you are a vegetarian, vegan, meat lover or gluten free. The freshly prepared meals, using the best quality ingredients, subtle spices and herbs, are a true delight for the senses. The desserts and Ice Cream, prepared in house, are a delectable " finish" . The award winning Lebanese wine constitutes the perfect pairing. At Leyla, the fine dining experience is enhanced by the owners' hospitable touch and the friendliness of the knowledgeable staff.
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband and I were in Charleston in April and were within walking distance of this wonderful restaurant. At home we have excellent Lebanese options but they are all fast food places and we would love to see a sit-in comfortable Lebanese restaurant here. Maybe someday. Leyla's is just such a place.

The food is so fresh and beautifully served. My husband is vegetarian so there were plenty of choices for him. We are both huge salad fans and Leyla's fatoush is just excellent. We ate there 3 times while in Charleston and were never disappointed. The menu is quite extensive so there are lots of choices for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. The service is wonderful and the atmosphere is calm and relaxing.

Don't miss the pistachio ice-cream! They make it themselves right on site and it is ambrosia!!!

1  Thank Janet1949

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Lebanese cuisine can vary from one village to another, whether in Lebanon or in the diaspora. One man's perfection can be another man's disappointment. My experience at Leyla was a let-down. Grape leaves (a variation on Yazrak Seyami) were good. The tabouli was watery and somewhat bland. Other dishes were hit or miss, often lacking the zest that I'm used to from Lebanese food. You can find better (Zahle-style) Lebanese cuisine in other southern cities such as Atlanta or Birmingham, although I would consider coming back here again.

3  Thank BamaGreg
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I love lebanese cuisine and our meal at Leyla's was definintely the best lebanese food we have ever had. I am a vegetarian and there were plenty of options available. The food was fresh and flavorful. The service was prompt and friendly. We look forward to dining there again when we return to Charleston.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

My wife and I (both vegetarians) read the reviews and decided to pop in. It was Saturday night but fortunately for us someone had not shown up for their reservation. The service was great. It appears to be family run and everyone was working hard to make sure we were taken care of. Service was present when you needed it but was not overbearing. We both ordered the vegetarian mezza sample platter and were impressed with the variety, quality, and quantity of the food. We did not go away hungry. Our favorites from the platter were the grape leaves, Fool Mudammas, the Hummos, and Baba Ghannouj. A miss for us was the Shankleesh because the cheese (a feta type cheese) overwhelmed the dish. The Falafel was good but a little dry so it could have used a little more sauce (tahini?)

Reviewed May 10, 2014

The aromas emanating from the kitchen; the subtle live acoustic music of mid-eastern genre; the Arabic accents of the owners and staff. Pinch me. For a moment I thought I was in Beirut. Oh and then the real treat begins. The menu is huge... plenty to choose from and for the novice mid-eastern food diner, it may be a bit daunting, but a cheerful wait staff will assist you. Since this was our first time in since the establishment opened up seven-months ago, we opted for "Layla's special mix of both hot and cold appetizers (Mezza) and some kibbeh and tender chicken kabobs with the amazing garlic paste.

Located in the heart of downtown, this neighborhood gem brings a taste of Lebanon to the mix of international flavors, expanding the palate of what Charleston has to offer both tourists and locals alike. The owner and her son's (a true Lady and Sons) were most graceous and when they learned of my heritage, they made every effort to make me feel right at home. They even comped my wife and I dessert... a blend of assorted baklava.

I may be a bit bias here, but my love of the Mediterranean diet and of specialty Lebanese dishes, I beg forgiveness from the readers:

SaleebScore: Service: 9/10, Food: 10/10 (some of the very BEST Lebanese food I have tasted from coast-to-coast [ State-side that is ]. Ambiance: 9/10, Value: 8/10 (tended to be expensive. The Fixed-Price Chef's tasting of several items for 2 came to $88.

Will I be back? Heck Yeah, Habibi.

1  Thank JPSaleebyMD