“EXCELLENT!”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting & King
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We visited Poogan's Porch twice for brunch during our weekend stay and absolutely loved it. My husband had shrimp and grits both times and said it was the best shrimp and grits he's ever had. I had the french toast one day and eggs/grits/bacon the other day.. both were equally as awesome. We will definitely return on our next Charleston trip.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

My wife had been here before on a girl's only trip and cold not stop talking about it. So we went again on a recent Charleston visit. When I found out where the name came from. I was probably hooked from the get go, being a patsy for almost any kind of animal story. But the place itself does an excellent job of all that they do. Reception was polite and efficient. The server attention and execution were both highly professional. The food was excellent. My wife had the buttermilk fried chicken and I had local scallops, also well cooked and seasoned. The wine list had fair prices and a good selection.The chicken was crispy and the tang from the buttermilk was a nice counterpoint to the weight of the frying. We passed on desert because we were headed for some ice cream while walking around town. We sad good bye, until next time, to little Poogan, who is buried in the restaurant garden with his own little headstone.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Sorry to say we were disappointed with Poogan's Porch. We started with the She Crab soup which seemed too thick and greasy and lacking in crab flavor. The pan fried scallops were tender and tasty with a tasty risotto which was a winner. The dessert menu was very unusual and unappetizing. Neither of us thought Pecan Pie with bacon chocolate ice cream sounded tasty. If I had to choose a second choice it would have been a chocolate torte but who eats chocolate torte with smoked strawberries? Service was mediocre at best. The server approached our table with a receipt book covering his mouth. The restaurant must have been on water rationing as I had to ration my own water consumption so that I didn't run out. Too many other Charleston restaurants serve excellent low country food to eat here.

1  Thank pgs-ATL
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Recommended by locals, other tourists and our ghost tour guide. We ate here for brunch and were not disappointed. While we didn't see any ghosts in this supposedly haunted house, the charm, the wonderful service, and the great food will entice us to come back. Maybe we will see the ghost of Zoe or Poogan the next time around.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We've been to Charleston many times but this was our first visit to Poogan's. We visited on Memorial Day, about 2:30, for lunch. We were greeted promptly at the door and told the wait was 20 minutes, but that we could wait in the bar. We went into the bar and sat at one of the two long tables (the 8 or so seats at the bar we're filled). No one approached us or pointed us to the bar to order, including the bartender. Eventually, my husband went up to the bar, followed by two others who came in to the bar after us. We were all then served quickly, and within a few minutes we were seated in the dining room. Our sever was very nice, very attentive. We had excellent she crab soup. Hubby ordered a fish dish that turned out to be wonderful and I had crab Benedict. Our server tried to time our order so that our entrees would not come out too soon so we could enjoy our soup. Unfortunately, my Benedict came out cold. Returned to the kitchen, the manager herself brought it back out, warm and with apologies. Without asking, we discovered when the bill came that she had removed the charge for our drinks. The effort to make things right, along with really good food, will bring us back to Poogan's on our next visit to the city.