“Not our best Charleston experience”
Review of Poogan's Porch

Poogan's Porch
Ranked #42 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting & King
Chicago, Illinois
“Not our best Charleston experience”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

During a short vacation in Charleston, we passed by during the day, and decided to try it for dinner. It seems so popular that I called ahead to see if they would have room, and the young woman I spoke to was useless. She said their walk-in tables were currently full, but didn't offer to take our names or give us an estimated wait time. I went on Open Table and made a reservation with no problem for 30 minutes later, and we headed down. We were seated promptly though not asked if we wanted indoors or out, and the whole place was maybe half full. Although I see why the food is popular, there were almost no non-meat options (just a couple of the appetizers), and our waitstaff did answer questions about the food but not particularly helpfully (I got the feeling they hadn't tried most of it themselves). It was a beautiful warm evening so less heavy options would have been nice, but our chicken dishes were good. Drinks, appetizers, and desserts were the highlight. Nice space, some good elements, but for the price and attitude we had better in Charleston.

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Best Crab Cakes I Have EVER eaten!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Lovely setting, the finest wait staff and to my delight, a shared appetizer of crab cakes and heirloom salad (also the best I have ever eaten) was pure deliciousness! While my entrée was wonderful, I cannot wait to go back. I will have these two appetizers as my main course - together they were a perfect match! My mouth is watering reliving this wonderful dining experience.
An added plus, the noise level was low making it a perfectly delightful evening for conversation over dinner with good friends.

Greer, South Carolina
“FRIED CHICKEN!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have had a lot of good fried chicken since moving to the South. The fried chicken at Poogan's Porch blew me away! I would go back and order that same dish again for sure!

The service was also good. The host stand did seem pretty indifferent, but the serving staff was attentive and focused.

Very good restaurant!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank aaronkretz
Arlington, Virginia
“Next door to Husk, and just as good”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I couldn't get in to Husk for lunch, so I went next door to Poogan's. I was seated right away at a lovely outdoor table. The food was interesting and very good, and the service was perfect.

Visited May 2013
Central Florida, Florida
“Phenomenal Dining Experience”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We visited the Charleston area for 4 days and had some great dining experiences, as with any list of restaurants there has to be a best and there has to be a worse. Poogan’s Porch was by far the best! Everything was superb, the menu was original and the flavors were perfectly paired. Everything was seasoned properly, served at the proper temperature and feature local, fresh ingredients.
We were a group of four, we started with appetizers: She Crab Soup, Fried Green Tomatoes with Local Goat Cheese, Heirloom Tomato Salad and Pimiento Cheese Fritters. All were outstanding. For entrees, two had the Shrimp & Grits which was very good – nice plump Carolina shrimp in a spicy gravy. We also had the Grilled MahiMahi which was served over a nice succotash. But…the highlight was the Cast Iron Pork Chop! This was one of the best, if not the best pork chop I ever had. It was breaded and skillet fried, so tender and juicy! The accompaniments of fresh green beans and gouda mac & cheese made for a well rounded entrée, I’d order this again and again. Superb!
Unfortunately after we all had our own appetizer and entrée, we were a bit too full for dessert. But that just gives us a reason to go back, is if the temptation of another pork chop wasn’t enough.