“Best Crab Cakes I Have EVER eaten!”
Review of Poogan's Porch

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting & King
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Lovely setting, the finest wait staff and to my delight, a shared appetizer of crab cakes and heirloom salad (also the best I have ever eaten) was pure deliciousness! While my entrée was wonderful, I cannot wait to go back. I will have these two appetizers as my main course - together they were a perfect match! My mouth is watering reliving this wonderful dining experience.
An added plus, the noise level was low making it a perfectly delightful evening for conversation over dinner with good friends.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,967)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have had a lot of good fried chicken since moving to the South. The fried chicken at Poogan's Porch blew me away! I would go back and order that same dish again for sure!

The service was also good. The host stand did seem pretty indifferent, but the serving staff was attentive and focused.

Very good restaurant!

1  Thank aaronkretz
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I couldn't get in to Husk for lunch, so I went next door to Poogan's. I was seated right away at a lovely outdoor table. The food was interesting and very good, and the service was perfect.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We visited the Charleston area for 4 days and had some great dining experiences, as with any list of restaurants there has to be a best and there has to be a worse. Poogan’s Porch was by far the best! Everything was superb, the menu was original and the flavors were perfectly paired. Everything was seasoned properly, served at the proper temperature and feature local, fresh ingredients.
We were a group of four, we started with appetizers: She Crab Soup, Fried Green Tomatoes with Local Goat Cheese, Heirloom Tomato Salad and Pimiento Cheese Fritters. All were outstanding. For entrees, two had the Shrimp & Grits which was very good – nice plump Carolina shrimp in a spicy gravy. We also had the Grilled MahiMahi which was served over a nice succotash. But…the highlight was the Cast Iron Pork Chop! This was one of the best, if not the best pork chop I ever had. It was breaded and skillet fried, so tender and juicy! The accompaniments of fresh green beans and gouda mac & cheese made for a well rounded entrée, I’d order this again and again. Superb!
Unfortunately after we all had our own appetizer and entrée, we were a bit too full for dessert. But that just gives us a reason to go back, is if the temptation of another pork chop wasn’t enough.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stopped in for a late lunch without a reservation and were welcomed in immediately. The restaurant was clean and the service was friendly and quick. We ordered a BBQ and buttermilk fried chicken. Some of the best we have had. There are several places in town to go for "soul food" or more traditional low country fare and this is the one. The prices for lunch for reasonable and the quality of the food was exceptional. It came out quickly, was tasty and not bland. Highly recommended.

1  Thank DasGrubers