“Charming slice of Charleston”
Review of Poogan's Porch

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting & King
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We got an early reservation for two on Valentine's Day at Poogan's Porch, and we were almost universally pleased with our choice. After an ever-so-sightly pretentious seating by the hostess, our waitress was bubbly, genuinely friendly and knew the menu backwards and forwards. The home itself presented a great, relaxing atmosphere. The food was thoughtfully crafted -- crab cake appetizers were huge and could have been a dinner in themselves, interestingly bigger than the main course of hand-cut pork chops, which were a little heavy on the salt IMHO; or my wife's flounder, nicely seasoned and flaky. Nice wine list, satisfying dessert. You could tell there was great attention to detail coming out of the kitchen, and we appreciated every bite. Despite all of the praise, I must agree with a prior reviewer who stopped short of calling the food "exceptional," but when taken as a whole dining experience, we were more than pleased with our evening. We are glad to have had a memorable dinner in Charleston, it was a place that just "felt" right; do you know what I mean?

Write a ReviewReviews (6,241)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We spent 4 days in Charleston and ate out for every meal. Poogan's was by FAR our favorite! We ate there on a Sunday for brunch. The staff was excellent. We did have an hour wait but the host took our cell # and texted us when our table was ready so we toured some nearby churches while waiting. We started out with biscuits that were INCREDIBLE! I had the shrimp & grits and my husband had the steak and eggs. We are from the midwest so we know steak & eggs. My husband loved his. I had never had grits before but this meal was amazing. So good. Bloody Mary's and Mimosas were 1/2 off at the time and that was a huge bonus. If we are ever back in Charleston we will definitely go back to Poogan's.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Poogan's Porch is a little off the beaten path but worth the search. The atmosphere was cozy/charming and the food was delicious. The groups enjoyed crab cakes, fried shrimp and fried oysters all cooked to a light delicate crunch. Nice beer menu, quick service without being rushed.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I tried dinner at Poogan's Porch last night and were very satisfied. We were seated promptly and had an attentive waitperson with good suggestions and explanations of the menu. I ordered the Combination Platter and DH loved his Bull's Bay oysters. I had enough to take home and will enjoy the flounder for lunch. Because we enjoyed "Rollback" prices, eating there was a double treat. The before-dinner biscuits were terrific!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Recommended to us by the staff at our hotel along with husk( which was empty but wouldn't seat us because they had reservations) -be advised even at lunchtime- the food was respectable but not exceptional. I expected more.