“If you want fish ... this is the place.”
Review of Coast Bar & Grill

Coast Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Coast Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Established in 2002, and housed in what was originally an indigo warehouse, this Charleston fish house redefines "fresh" from the menu to the decor. COAST features 40-ft ceilings, rustic tin roofs, and paintings from around the world, creating an atmosphere reminiscent of an eclectic beach bar. Enjoy a Peach Blanco Sangria outside on the patio, or a delicious bottle of wine in the spacious bar lined with preserved palm trees. COAST's chefs meet daily with local farmers and fishermen to procure the freshest seafood and produce in the Lowcountry. At the heart of the restaurant is the hickory and oak custom made wood burning grill, a feature you will only find at COAST. The menu incorporates Charleston Classics with our chefs' unique creations. Local favorites include the selection of wood-grilled fresh fish, Seared Rare Tuna, Fish Tacos and the full raw bar. Additional original plates are offered nightly to take full advantage of our city's bountiful local ingredients. A great deal of time and attention goes into compiling a wine selection to match the flavor of our wines to the dynamics of COAST's dishes. The wine list features organic and biodynamic producers. COAST makes every effort to support up-and-coming global wine makers, while simultaneously finding only the highest quality products!
Reviewed October 18, 2013

An extensive seafood menu with a large selection of appetizers, salads, entrees and deserts. Located off King Street (a little hard to find) .... the interior has a lot of warmth and old time feel and decor. Everything ordered was excellent, with service to match. Although they were busy, we did not feel rushed, and were able to enjoy a relaxed meal. The whole fried flounder was a real treat .. large and meaty. Crab soup is outstanding. You can't go wrong with any selection.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,698)

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We tried this restaurant after two delightful meals at the neighboring 39 Rue de Jean. We saw crowds of people going to Coast and assumed it was equally wonderful.
As we had a large lunch at Poogan's Porch (fabulous meal!), we just wanted drinks and appetizers. Perhaps, two women just ordering apps made our waiter unhappy, I don't know.
I do know that the bread that my Blue Crab dip appetizer was served with was tasteless and hard. When I finally had the waiter's attention, he quizzed me on exactly what was wrong with the bread. As we have had the most amazing bread in Charleston, I knew that the issue was the strictly Coast's. I was then snidely offered saltine crackers instead of the stale bread. When I declined and pointedly asked for the chips (tortilla) that the neighboring table had, he did bring them. Seriously, saltine crackers?!
The dip was okay. I could make the same at home. My Mother had a salad with ravioli that was equally acceptable. My Hawaiian punch drink was tasty, but I was not tempted to spend more money at the Coast Bar and Grill.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We just happened upon this restaurant while vacationing in Charleston. The seafood was so fresh and the portions were very generous. The sides, grits and mashed potatoes were fabulous. We were delighted with this unexpected find.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place is stunning! Exposed brick, 40 foot ceilings, great decor. The food that we tried was excellent. The restaurant itself is a little hidden. Don't let that deter you from eating here. It is just a little off the main road.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were told by friends to go to this restaurant. We weren't disappointed! I called a few days ahead and made a reservation. There were five of us and we all got something different and everything was great! I will definitely go back here the next time I'm in town!