“Great view & food”

California Dreaming Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #97 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Voted “Best Waterfront Dining” and "Best Salad" 10 years running, by Charleston City Paper and “Best French Fries” by West Ashley Patch; here you’ll enjoy “fall-off-the-bone” baby back ribs, giant chicken dishes, award winning salads and slow-cooked prime rib. The energy-packed atmosphere is complete with an expansive, wrap-around patio and bar overlooking the Ashley River. The restaurant also features late night bar bites; large party carry-out and catering, and accessibility for groups. Adjacent to Ripley Light Marina on the Ashley River.
Walterboro, South Carolina, United States
“Great view & food”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My husband and I recently went here for an early birthday dinner for him. The view was amazing. The food was pretty good and not as high as I thought (judging by what others told us.) Our waitress was very polite and professional and suggested the house dressing for my salad (I was skeptical but she said it was worth the try and she was 110% right, I loved it!) The only thing that really got to me negatively was when we first entered the restaurant. There was an older gentleman ahead of us who didn't have a reservation. The ladies behind the desk told him he'd have to wait and gave him one of the portable buzzers. He started walking in the wrong direction not knowing where to go and instead of them stopping him, they laughed and one said to the other 'He is completely clueless' and continued laughing. To do that in front of us, instead of stepping to the side to catch him (which another employee behind them ended up doing), was just rude and unprofessional. They were dressed nicely, as friendly as could be to us (although they did not make it clear to us where to go either since we did have a reservation - same guy that helped the man helped us.) Its great if you and your best friend work together (or whatever they may have been) but please act professional while at work, keep the jokes and comments for when you're off work (I worked in the food industry for 6 years myself so I know how that goes.) Only other thing I think might influence future visitors is the noise level. We are used to roadhouses so it did not bother us, however, it was louder than most would expect (again, this didn't bother us but I know some others would not care for it.)

• Visited November 2013

various
“Great food!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We arrived on a Tuesday evening about 6:30 and had a 35 minute wait. There is plenty of room in the large lobby/waiting area. We were seated at a nice window table, clean and comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed our entrees, especially the warm, flaky croissant rolls drizzled with honey. The service was 'ok', which could be improved, but we will return.

“A favorite!”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I love this Columbia location, so I was eager to stop in for dinner here in Charleston. We sat outside on the back patio and had a beautiful view of the water. As always, the food was delicious. I had the barbecue chicken and red skin mashed potatoes. Love the barbecue sauce. The portions are very generous. I also loved the sweet tea.

• Visited August 2013
Easton PA
“Great Restaurant with a View”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Our group of 47 arrived one hour early and they were able to seat us. We had long tables next to the windows and the view was spectacular. As we were eating dinner, the sun had begun to set. We thoroughly enjoyed the water view.
I had chosen the #6 package for our group which gave the most selection of entrees for people to choose. The appetizers were great and served within a few minutes. The food was served hot and the prime rib was delicious. The portions are large and well worth the price. Dessert was a warm brownie with vanilla ice cream. Yummy! I think this was the best meal we had for the week in the area.
The only complaint was that the sun was really streaming into the door windows and blinded a few people for at least 20 minutes. They should really put something on the doors and/or windows to keep this from happening.

Knoxville, TN
“The View Will Cost You”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The best thing this restaurant has to offer is the view, and it comes at a steep price. The food is average, the service good and the prices high. Try to at least get a window table for your money spent.

• Visited October 2013
CA_Centraarchy, Public Relations Manager at California Dreaming Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for the compliments on our view, it really is the best in Charleston. As for our prices, we serve fresh, never frozen menu items. Our dressings are homemade, vegetables chopped daily and our beef is all USDA choice. This does come at a cost, but there's a taste difference we're not willing to sacrifice for.