“Very nice, but some work to do to earn 5 stars.”

High Cotton Charleston
Reserve with OpenTable
High Cotton Charleston is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 938 Restaurants in Charleston
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Cumberland
Description: High Steppin' Lowcountry Living. It's a feeling of warmth and celebration that begins the moment you step inside. You'll find it in our gracious, knowledgable servers, expertly prepared dishes and a remarkable cocktail and wine program. From conversation and laughter in our bar to our stylish dining rooms of heart pine floors and antique brick, you'll come to understand true Charleston hospitality. That is, there's always cause for celebration - of our neighbors, our food and drink and each other. It's our great pleasure to share it with you.
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I'll start my review by stating that we went for dinner here on the 4th of July, so of course it was very busy.

We arrived on time for our 7pm sitting. The maître d' told us that our table wasn't yet ready and to take a seat in the waiting area. I've no problems with that, but she didn't exactly exude the southern charm that the area is renowned for. Also, it would be nice to be given an idea of how long the wait might be, and offered a drink in the meantime. Don't get me wrong, these are minor criticisms, but it's this attention to detail that separates good restaurants from great ones.

Once we were seated about 25 minutes later, things improved. Our waitress (Harriet?) was lovely, and had a fantastic knowledge of what bottle of wine would best suit our meal choices. In spite of how busy it was, our starters and then entrees arrived quite quickly. We both enjoyed our meals, especially the lobster starter.

Overall, a lovely meal. Like I've already said, just lacking a little attention to detail in some areas.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful Sunday brunch in the bar at High Cotton. The food was fantastic, but the Dixieland band was even better. It was a fabulous experience from start to finish. I would highly recommend it for anyone touring Charleston. We went soon after the band started to get a good table (they don't take reservations).

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Went for Sunday brunch and although the food was ok service was pretty slow. I had the shrimp & grits which was ok and can not remember what everyone else had. I guess that is why I would rate it as being ok over all. We had better for less so would not be my choice if I return.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have visited this restaurant for the last 20 years. The food quality and service is always consistently great. They have the best Expresso Martinis. During our last visit we requested a table for 6 and we had our 6 week old grandson. The staff was very friendly and just before our meal was served the manager offered to baby sit our grandson while mama ate her dinner. We were all wowed by this gesture. We love High Cotton even more.
The music is always great. Thank you for such a great team of nice folks who personify hospitality at its best.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Sunday jazz brunch is a great way to experience High Cotton. With great southern ambience they have a menu that combines classic southern menu items with classic Sunday brunch fare. Poached eggs on top of a crab cake on top of a fried green tomato - oh my! So delicious! And the thick French toast slices could feed three! Throw in brunch cocktails and a jazz band and you have the perfect spot for a Sunday morning

1  Thank DonKnox25