“A true dining experience”
Review of Charleston Grill

Charleston Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Charleston Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Market Street
Description: The Charleston Grill offers Contemporary Lowcountry cuisine featuring fresh local produce, seafood & game, prepared with a French accent. Emphasis is placed on the quality of the ingredients, unique presentations & sophisticated textures. Local ingredients include rabbit, oysters, crabmeat, shrimp, fish, duck, greens & grains. Paneled walls, herringbone floors, softly padded carver chairs & local folk art blend with live jazz to create an elegant, but casual setting. The private Vintner's Room features walls of glass-fronted wine cellars showcasing the impressive stock of vintages from around the world.
Chicago, Illinois
“A true dining experience”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We dined here on Friday night and had a wonderful experience. We had a cozy banquette for two right next to the live jazz. Service was excellent. Our waitress was able to make some great recommendations - we mixed it up across the four menu categories. First, you must get the crab cake. It was better than anything I've had in Baltimore. Solid flavorful crabmeat in a wonderful butter sauce. I went with the red snapper prepared in an Asian style broth which also was light but bursting with sweet and spicy flavor. So good. This place is a must if you have one "fancy dinner" night in Charleston.

North Charleston, South Carolina
“A great lunch date with girlfriends”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This place has a great atmoshpere, good food and has outside seating. Everything is hand made to order and you will love the art.

Visited February 2013
Hollywood, Florida
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was an amazing restaurant. Service was excellent as was the food and ambiance. A must visit while in Charleston

Visited May 2013
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
“Wonderful evening”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend a little more on a nice dinner and Charleston Grill was the place we chose. We were not disappointed!! Everything from the time we entered until the time we left was picture perfect, the service was phenomenal, and the food was even better. The live jazz playing softly only added to the wonderful ambiance. We were there for at least an hour and a half but with all of the chef's little treats that accompanied our actual dinner, we never felt like we were just sitting. The time flew by and we were sorry to leave. I got the ribeye and my wife got the duck, and we had coffee and mousse for dessert. The one thing I may have done differently was leave off the mousse as it didn't add as much as we had hoped and the chef brought out several other sweets for us to try. We aren't big sugar people but had decided to do dessert, but it ended up being a bit much. That said, it was all fantastic, and obviously we could have not eaten some of it, but honestly that didn't seem like an option when everything was so amazing!

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“Excellent.”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

A friend and I visited Charleston Grill on a Sunday night in early May for dinner. The restaurant is located within Charleston Place, so we window-shopped at Gucci on our way in. We made 8:30PM reservations two days earlier directly with the Charleston Place concierge, which is highly recommended. We were not sure what the dress code was and neither of us had packed for anything overly dressy, so my friend wore a sundress with a cardigan and I wore nice dark jeans, a pretty silk blouse, heels, and a sweater wrap – both were totally appropriate. It seemed like the majority of people in the restaurant were in country club attire, so it worked. Upon arrival, we were told that our table was delayed a bit, so we ordered a drink in the bar area, and waited for about fifteen minutes. I am not sure what the delay was, but we ended up with a great table that we both really liked. We were against the windows, looking into the hotel courtyard, but within view of the jazz duo. The acoustics are good in the restaurant, so you can both hear your dinner partners and the music without straining. Our server was excellent, as were his teammates. Upon sitting at our table, my drink from the bar area finally arrived (not sure what the delay was there either, but it worked out). I had a lemongrass mojito, which was really wonderful and not something that I would have put together, but it totally worked. My friend had a glass of wine (also excellent). The server assistant brought around bread and whipped butter, along with tasting salts. The multi-grain bread was possibly the best I have ever had. We both then ordered a crab cake, which was garnished with creek shrimp and a lime dill sauce, as a first course. I am allergic to shrimp, but can eat crab (and do!), and the server was very accommodating in getting me a crab cake sans creek shrimp. The crab cake was phenomenal, as was the incredible sauce. We had both been eating crab cakes all over town, and this was my personal favorite. After this, the server brought a “bite” or palate cleanser for us. It was a white chocolate and cauliflower puree, with chorizo, and a pistachio and celery leaf gremolata – an unexpected, but delicious combination! Next, our entrees and side arrived. She had the rack of lamb and I had the beef tenderloin. Both were excellent. Additionally, we ordered a side of roasted cauliflower, which, having been prepared with capers and dates, was also delicious. After our entrees, a second “bite” or palate cleanser was brought out. This time it was pistachio cheesecake with a sour cherry. Yum! I then ordered coffee, which was the best that I had in Charleston, and we shared the pecan mousse. This dessert was phenomenal! Honestly, really, really, rich and delicious – and I loved the coconut sorbet accent, as well as the little crunchy pecan crumbles. After we had seriously indulged and were super full, I sipped my coffee and we waited a bit for the bill. The bill arrived with, you guessed it, more treats! This time, it was a plate with a mini blueberry geleé, an earl grey truffle, a raspberry macaroon, a pistachio brownie, and a piece of butter pecan toffee. Also, fyi, the area directly in front of where the nightly jazz duo plays is open seating for drinks and desserts, which would be a great way to spend any night even foregoing a magnificent dinner. Overall, we loved the décor, the location, the service, the food, and the ambience at the Charleston Grill. For the quality, I really think that the cost was really quite reasonable, as well. It was my favorite meal in Charleston (although I do have a list of others to try), and I plan to be back!!!