“Very Fine Dining”
Review of Charleston Grill

Charleston Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Charleston Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 940 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Market Street
Description: The Charleston Grill offers Contemporary Lowcountry cuisine featuring fresh local produce, seafood & game, prepared with a French accent. Emphasis is placed on the quality of the ingredients, unique presentations & sophisticated textures. Local ingredients include rabbit, oysters, crabmeat, shrimp, fish, duck, greens & grains. Paneled walls, herringbone floors, softly padded carver chairs & local folk art blend with live jazz to create an elegant, but casual setting. The private Vintner's Room features walls of glass-fronted wine cellars showcasing the impressive stock of vintages from around the world.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Wonderful meal, in several courses.

I really like how they have actually four menus to choose from, and combine food from each, depending on your taste, and your mood!

The ambiance is beautiful, with live music, and a very rich decor.

The service, in my opinion.. is the best in Charleston.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,573)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Now this is a dining experience! You are treated special from the moment you walk through the door as all of the staff will call you Mr. / Mrs. so and so. We started our dinner with the escargot and were amazed by the flavors. We were also brought a amuse-bouche of a homemade chip with trout roe and blue cheese, which was decadent. Our chosen entres were the peach glazed grilled pork chop on grits with basil-creamed corn and tomatillo coulis and the tenderloin with bourguignon sauce and baby baked potatoes with tarragon lemon butter. DELICIOUS. The maitre'd came to our table to apologize that the chef was not pleased with the cooking on the pork chop so they brought us the autumn greens salad which was so flavorful and light. The jazz band playing music was delightful to listen to during dinner. Not too loud so we could talk to each other. Our desserts were amazing as well. We left satisfied body and soul and reminisced on the walk back to the hotel.

1  Thank Lilly1278
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The Charleston Grill is, without a doubt, one of the finest restaurants I have ever experienced. Yes, it was more than a meal . . . it was an experience. From the moment we were seated until the last bite of our delicious dessert, our time there was memorable. The staff were friendly and attentive, and we were not rushed a bit, even though we were there for several hours. It's hard to pick a favorite bite of the meal, but the crab cake appetizer was amazing. It was served with an exquisite lemon dill sauce. My lamb chops were absolutely delicious, as was my husband's glazed duck. The desserts were, also, wonderful. At the end of the meal (we were completely stuffed), we were given a plate of delicious candies and sweets. This chef is extremely talented and skilled in not only her ability to prepare a delicious meal, but also her finesse in plating a beautiful dish. The Charleston Grill was the highlight of my vacation in Charleston. When I vacation in Charleston in the future, I will definitely dine at this fine restaurant.

3  Thank karinocity
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I enjoy the happy meeting of very fresh ingredients, prepared with a light touch that either complements or brings out the essence of the star of the show. That is what I got with tonight's meal...my salad featured a hearty portion of arugula with just the right amount of radicchio to spike the peppery greens with a mildly bitter punch, which was nicely offset by a smattering of sweetness - pomegranate seeds, a dice of marcona almonds and roasted grapes -- dressed in a tasty pomegranate vinaigrette barely but evenly coating the crisp greens. My main course was a pork chop with a peach glaze, served with creamed corn and fried basil. The pork was melt-in-your-mouth tender, plump and tasty as only fresh, high quality meat can be, seared with a thin crust of caramelized peachiness. It took all my self-control not to suck what was left of the meat on the bone, (actually, I did get in one mouthful, and then one of my servers cleared my plate!) The restaurant is quite elegant, and I was treated like a V.I.P. even though I was dining solo and didn't know a soul. When I "signed" in, I was offered magazines for reading material, and the hostess made sure she had the right pronunciation of my name. Every person who took care of me afterwards personally addressed me. My only disappointment was a small cheese plate with blackberry puree - there was the slightest trace of puree on the plate, and the cheese, which I had been told was like a camembert or a brie, and I think was probably a local cheese - had more the texture of a gouda and a flavor that I just didn't like (that's how it can be with cheese, right?) I ate very little of it and just mentioned that I didn't care for it - I was given apologies, it was taken off the bill, and I was provided with a lovely little plate of delectable sweets (a praline, chocolates, a galette, and a luscious round of crystallized ginger).

I did not discern any disappointment on the part of the staff for not ordering any alcohol, despite both the extensive wine list that I imagine the restaurant takes pride in and of course what that adds to the bill. Live music was provided by a guitarist and violinist, which was very enjoyable.

The menu is laid out in an unusual manner, with dishes listed under "Pure," "Lavish," "French"
(or something like that) and "Southern." - you are assured that you can mix and match, which is what I did (the salad was under "Pure" and the pork, "Southern."

This was my farewell dinner to Charleston after a wonderful 5 days here, and I am more than satisfied that I indulged my foodie sensibilities extremely well.

2  Thank HLaurie
Reviewed December 26, 2012

There is nothing but great things to say about this place, I love it and go often, can be pricey but well worth it. Celebrate my anniversary every year here

2  Thank LINDA51152 K