“Awesome...”
Review of Magnolias

Magnolias
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnolias is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome...”
Reviewed September 19, 2006

Great Buttermilk fried chicken.. went on a recommendation from [-]. Great wine selection too.. We even had the waiter choose one, and he choose are great white to go with the fresh fish. A Charleston must for me..

1 Thank LoveEatingOUt

Seattle, Washington
“Good Food/Bad Day”
Reviewed September 7, 2006

The food was very good. The waiter couldn't get ANYTHING right. They did end up comping us a few things for all the hassle, but we still left with a raised eyebrow.

1 Thank mblam7
Ohio
“Excellent food, but service was a little spotty”
Reviewed August 12, 2006

While the title of my review and the 5-dot rating may seem at odds, it is simply because the food at Magnolia's is so good it is worth putting up with a little spotty service.

We called Saturday evening a got a table at about 9:30, which may sound late but was actually earlier than we could get at one of Charleston's other well-regarded restaurants. While there is a parking lot right next door to the restaurant it was full; I got lucky when a couple left as I was searching for a place. So if you are arriving around 9-9:30 on a weekend, don't count on getting a spot right away.

The main dining room was large, with high ceilings, and fairly loud. One major complaint -- there is a bar area set above the dining area and cigarette smoke can make its way to tables nearby, so keep that in mind when being seated.

Let me get the spotty service issues out of the way so I can get to the food. Our waiter was relatively quick to come to our table, but when we needed a little extra time to decide on what we wanted, he began making himself rather scarce. Everything from that point on seemed to take a little longer than necessary: taking our order, getting our wine, taking a dessert order, getting the bill. Nothing outrageous, but slow given the fact that it was now 10 and the tables were starting to thin out.

Now, the food. Simply put: Outstanding. This was my first experience with "low country" cuisine. All I can say is if I lived in SC, I would weight about 100 pounds more. Everything we had was outstanding and everything was different.

The crab bisque was the best of 3 kinds we had during our trip to SC. Shrimp and grits was truly one of the best appetizers I have had, and I am not a big shrimp lover.

Among entrees, the buttermilk fried chicken breast was excellent -- crispy, flavorful skin and incredibly moist meat. Also outstanding were two fish dishes: a wreckfish special with a basil cream sauce and the pan-seared grouper with artichoke, creamy crab and lemon beurre blanc. The prepartion for each dish was perfect and the proportions were quite generous. As a result, we didn't have room for dessert.

5 Thank MGMarch
Ireland
“Fantastic food and service”
Reviewed July 25, 2006

My wife and I went here for a meal in July. Got reservations for an 8pm meal and had the meal of our life with service that was top class. well informed staff and a great wine list that had a great selection of burgundy wine a favorite of mine and my wife. I had the cat fish served with parmesan grit cakes and red cabbage. (amazing). My wife was served the blackened Mahi in a bed of wonderful grits (as they should be cooked) and fried green tomatoes. The meal for 2 including a fine bottle of $42 wine and a starter of calamri and desert of key lime cheese cake (2 cups of coffee) was only $120.00. For this type of food and service not to mention the wonderful enviroment i would expect to pay more. The food at this place is cooked, presented and served by people who love food. Go and enjoy the comfort and delight of a great dining experience.

3 Thank descarrie
Enfield, Connecticut
“Get the Fried Chicken!”
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Had a great lunch here and noticed lots of people ordering the fried chicken... and for good reason - it was simple great!! The service was fine, the price and atmosphere also nice. Better than a lot of other neighboring places.

2 Thank kpvin