“Great Meal - Reservations Recommended”
Review of Magnolias

Magnolias
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnolias is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Magnolias is one of a family of local restaurants. We visited for lunch and were asked if we had reservations. We didn't, but we were seated right away. Like most Charleston restaurants, the servers at Magnolias are consummate professionals. They know their menu and they know how to take care of customers. I very much enjoyed the Carolina Hot Brown, an open-faced turkey sandwich which was accompanied by Jalapeno-Peach Coleslaw. My friends had the special of the day, barbecued spare ribs served with fresh collard greens and potato salad.

1  Thank Hazloke
Write a ReviewReviews (5,945)

Reviewed July 11, 2009

My husband and I had dinner at Magnolias over the 4th of July weekend and of all the meals we ate over the weekend, this was the most disappointing. We selected Magnolias after seeing positive reviews but were very disappointed in the quality of the food. Now maybe it was because we were eating there on 4th of July evening that the food was just average. My husband had a decent shrimp and grits, but frankly we'd had better elsewhere. I had an heirloom tomato small plate appetizer that was good but my entre was terrible. It was supposed to be a grillled breast of chicken with mozzarella, with fried okra in a savory tomato sauce. The okra was dried out and the chicken was overcooked. Always one to try dessert, we opted for the red velvet cake, which was dry and unremarkable. Service was fine and the setting is very nice. In short, Magnolias seems to be on the "must try" list for Charleston visitors but I think the restaurant is resting on its laurels and needs to up its game before we try it again for dinner.

Reviewed July 6, 2009

Charleston is full of great restaurants, but this one is the most memorable!! I had the BEST shrimp and grits ever, here in this restuarant. Wait staff was extremely professional. Prices are not too outrageous either. I would definitely go again when I stop by Charleston!

Reviewed July 6, 2009

It was my idea to go this restaurant on a recent long weekend and frankly, I was embarrassed. I had heard from some co-workers how great this place was and was looking forward to it. I am glad our reservations were only for brunch. the decor of the place was very dated, that mauve-pink wall color and checkerbaoard flooring , but you overlook that kind of thing if the food is really good, which it was not. First of all just because we are two women, don't jerk us around. When there are a multitude of tables empty, don't tell us there's a 30 minute wait. Guess what, we both worked as waitresses while going to school and our tipping jumping off point is 20%, but if you do a great job we will tip 50%. So, don't let us sit like lepers while you give great service to the guy and his family sitting next to us. I had a steak omelet which was cold and tasted like the steak was was leftovers. Their potato side was overcooked and so rendered pretty much flavorless. The bread was a good though.

2  Thank Patrizio919
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Amazing food creations. I had shellfish over succotash and it was fantastic. Highly regarded place to eat for a very good reason. May have been our favorite. They also did a great job with southern fried chicken!