“Upscale Southern Perfection”
Review of Magnolias

Magnolias
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnolias is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 967 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, European, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were lucky enough to get reservations at Magnolias for Christmas dinner. My husband, who picked Magnolias specifically because they hadn't whittled their menu down to just turkey for the holiday, ended up getting the turkey dinner, which looked like Christmas on a plate and was delicious (particularly the stuffing). The salad we had beforehand featured corn bread croutons I'd like to keep in a bag in my pocketbook and eat like Skittles all day long.

I had duck, which I'm not seeing on the menu on their web site right now, so that might have been a special. It was indeed special, and served with a butternut squash mash that I inhaled like a Dyson vacuum. I can't remember the glaze on the duck now, because it was the last meal of an insanely delicious three day tour of Charleston, but it was good. Let's say it involved berries somehow.

Magnolias oozed southern charm, and all the people around us eating looked like they fell out of a John Grisham movie. You couldn't have stuffed another body in there with a crowbar, but it wasn't loud.

It was the perfect "southern experience" restaurant to sum up our trip.

We'd definitely go back!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,092)

Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I had dinner on Dec 23 at Magnolia. The food was excellent and the service even better. Our waiter was high school teacher. He helped my wife find a wine she liked. He also gave very good descriptions of the menu and got us a pedi cab for the ride back.
I had fried mac and cheese appetizer. It was excellent but I am sure it isn't good for my diet. I had the Carolina carpetbagger. the filets were perfect and the oysters were delicious. I also had a side of collard greens. They were perfect as only a southern cook can make.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We loved our lunch at Magnolias. First of all, the food was unbelievably good. I had never tried cornbread croutons and they were divine. My husband practically licked his plate of shrimp and grits they were so tasty. Additionally, the service was the definition of Southern hospitality. Our server was so cordial, helpful and informative. As soon as he heard we were from out of town, he was full of helpful hints and suggestions of what to do and see.

I highly recommend Magnolias. Great food and very reasonably priced.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We enjoyed Christmas dinner at Magnolia's. Great food! Low Country upscale dining. Superb service, nice atmosphere.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked well in advance knowing this place would be busy. The menu was full of delicious options and the food did not did not disappoint. They were happy to adjust the meal to meet my friend's special requirements. It was very busy and quite noisy and our waiter beccame rather flustered at one stage.