“Would return if ever in the area.....”
Review of Magnolias

Magnolias
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnolias is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 967 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had several people recommend this place, they were RIGHT!!!! Probably one of the best meals in Charleston, and I know there are many to choose from. The service was exceptional and our server was extremely knowledgable on the wines, knew the menu very well and steered us right in everything. We were celebrating our kids 3rd anniversary, was perfect spot.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,091)

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Reservations are mandatory, but the six of us snagged one for 2:45PM. Despite that, we were not seated right away with the reception lady claiming our reservation was for 12:45PM. Not likely. In any event, we were still seated within 10 minutes of arrival. Then the good stuff began!

Magnolias has an extensive lunch menu at reduced prices. I had somethng called "Grilled Meat Loaf." Possibly the best meatloaf I've ever had (See my recent review for Vic's on the Riverfront in Savannah.). The other five in our party raved about their entrees', too.

Service at Magnolia was professional and efficient given by a young, but obviously well-trained staff.

Wouldn't hesitate for a second to go back to Magnolias.

Bonus Treat: There's a full-service cigar store just a few feet north of Magnolias. Not only can you purchase and smoke cigars here while sitting in one of their over-stuffed leather chairs watching sports on a big screen TV, but this same shop sells wine and beer by the glass...and bottle. WHAT A FANTASTIC PLACE TO WAIT FOR THE WOMEN WHILE THEY SHOP before showing up at Magnolia's for lunch!

1  Thank JayJayLoudonTN
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We ate lunch here on our last day in Charleston and were able to be seated even though it was a Friday and filling up fast, and us without reservations. If you hate having to make reservations for lunch, I'd advise getting there right at noon like we did.
Both lunch entrees that my husband and I ordered were outstanding. I was really impressed with the taste, intricacy, freshness and presentation of the dishes, and at such a reasonable price. The dinner menu looks even more notches up there, lots pricier but worth it I imagine.
I was very happy with my dish- parmesan crusted grouper with crab, citrus butter sauce, sauteed asparagus, corn and cherry tomato, and rice Pirloo (sp?). That is a traditional Charleston rice preparation with shrimp and a bit of cream, sort of like risotto. So I had grouper, crab and shrimp in my lunch entree- pretty awesome.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Excited to have the opportunityt to dine here but was disappointed. Nice environment and staff all seemed nice. Decent cocktail to begin but were then taken to our table in a bit of a rush. Decided on our choices, husband had the crab bisque and I took the tomato bisque as I didn't want a heavy starter. Crab bisque ok but rich tomato bisque tasted like Heinz I am sorry to say. Main courses affirmed by the waiter as excellent choices. Well, the Parmesan crusted flounder was greasy and tasteless with no crust which was not as expected. The waiter was somewhat sniffy and a little heated when he collected the plates. I had not planned to complain but just give feedback. Anyway they took it off the bill but the waiter then wanted to get rid of us and we were happy to go. Didn't even have a cup of coffee. So many places to eat and we made a bad choice. Maybe southern low country food is not up our 'more sophisticated' street!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The food here was SO good that we came twice. The Shrimp gumbo was like nothing we never had before....The service was so attentive. Make a reservation