“What a surprise”

Slightly North of Broad
Reserve with OpenTable
Slightly North of Broad is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Faber Street
Description: Slightly North of Broad is a Lowcountry bistro that brings together an abundance of local ingredients and thoughtful, expert presentation with a friendly, contagious energy. Here the dining room is a natural extension of the kitchen, a place where culinary skill, a clever, considered wine program, warm service, and conversations meld together. Our local farmers, fishermen and producers are as integral to the food we make as they are to our place in this community.
Reviewed November 7, 2012

What a surprise when we walked in the door. There are a multitude of good restaurants to chose from on East Bay Street. We ( like everyone else ) checked out the menus posted at all restaurants outside, and chose S.N.O.B. because of locals who recommended it. When we walked in the door it was very busy! The atmosphere was elegant, the dishes that were passing by us as they were being served all looked wonderful. It was only lunch but we felt like we were out for a very special meal - that is the feel that you get from the atmosphere - the servers - the food preparation. The food was - of course - delicious, and served in a timely manner! I can see why it is a favorite of the locals. It will Most Certainly be our first stop when we visit Charleston again.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,519)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have had this restaurant on my "To go" list for a long long time. I live in Manhattan and consider myself a bit of a foodie, so when I was able to score a seat at the Chef's table, I was so excited. Unfortunately, the view is completely obstructed by a fall festival display, so you don't get to watch the action in the kitchen at all. Kinda defeats the purpose of the table! Anyway, I feel that I can't give an honest review of this restaurant because I think my waiter ruined my entire experience. This guy really put the "SNOB" in SNOB. If you didn't like his up-selling of everything from wine to appetizers to entrees, he almost rolled his eyes and walked away. The big thing here is pushing the BBQ Tuna. I don't like fried oysters, so wanted to go with something else. After that I was basically forgotten. Of note, I did change my order and go with his appetizer recommendation, which, of course, was the Tuna. Skip it. Totally uninspired dish with the same citrus segments and avocado chunks you see on every menu, placed unthoughtfully on the plate. Enjoyed the scallop, which he didn't recommend. Overall a very cold and "Too cool for school" attitude. I'm sure there is some good food at this place, but I don't feel it's worth it if you have to deal with rude, inattentive staff.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We've heard that everyone in Charleston thinks they do the best shrimp and grits, but the version we had at SNOB was really extraordinary, as were our appetizers. We really wanted to give it 5 stars, and would go back in a heartbeat, but the service was a bit uneven when we were there, and we have to call them like we see them!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I always like their menu and food. However on our last visit the place was very busy and the service staff was not attentive to us.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We made special plans and reserved the chefs table with wine pairings. We were really looking forward to his night. Sorry to say we were disappointed. We thought the purpose of the chefs table was to show off the very best of what the kitchen has to offer. There was nothing really wrong with anything we had as far as the meal was concerned we just were not blown away like we expected. A few of the dishes were uninspried and I feel I could have made myself at home. They did a great job with the wine pairings and explaining everything to us. We fully expected to enjoy it so much that we would come back another night during our stay. That did not happen. You may have better luck picking from the menu. That I cannot comment on but I would not do the chefs table again.

1  Thank out3650