“Great restaurant.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Indaco

Indaco
Reserve with OpenTable
Indaco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #107 of 895 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great restaurant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Atmosphere was great, although with high ceilings a little loud, but the decor was neat. We sat at the bar to wait for a table and because it was such a comfortable place to sit, we just ordered dinner there. The food was outstanding. We enjoyed both cocktails and wine. Dessert was to die for. Service was friendly and efficient.

Visited October 2013

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Amazing food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Service, food and drinks were all perfect. Trevor made our experience perfect. Chef is top notch. Another great addition to upper kings new "Restaurant Row"

Visited September 2013
Miami, Florida
“Food's OK, but leave the hair alone!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Noisy, crowded restaurant.

Food is presented beautifully, although having a good Italian vocabulary would be helpful when reading the menu.

My two travelling companions chose the $45 menu selection, in which the chef decides what each of the four included courses will be. We asked the friendly waitress what exactly those courses would include. She replied that she didn't know, that the chef would prepare whatever he "felt." So, each course arrived as a surprise, with the waitress explaining what had just arrived. My companions let me taste each of the courses. Everything looked good and tasted ok. Me, I just ordered lasagne.

Since the restaurant was so crowded (9pm on a Monday), we were seated at the "Chef's Table", right in front of the kitchen. It was interesting to see how quickly and efficiently the cooks and chef worked. Two of the cooks wore baseball caps to keep their hair out of the food. Two of the cooks wore covering their hair.

The chef - who definately could be a top male model - wore nothing over his hair. Normally, this wouldn't bother me much. Except... he was constantly running his hands through his hair and then immediately using his hands to prepare the food. Definately does not seem to be very sanitary!

My suggestion: If you're in the mood for small portions, not-small prices, ok food, loud conversation, and the possibility of blond-ish hair in your food, this is the place to go. (Personally, I didn't find any hair in my food...)

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Not your traditional Italian restaurant...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Be ready to get cozy with neighboring tables. Space is tight for parties of two. The pasta descriptions can be misleading. Thankfully, our server was really knowledgable and guided us through the details of our selections. Pizza was as expected with a wood fired touch. Bucatini pasta was light and had a touch of chili oil. I omitted the fish roe that it is finished with. Best part of the meal was the 24 month Aged prosciutto appetizer that is served with apple.

Visited September 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
“A new meaning for "rustic"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Indaco's web site describes their food as "rustic Italian fare", After dining there and reading that phrase, I went to my trusty online dictionary, thinking perhaps I had no understanding of the meaning of "rustic". The dictionary says "constructed or made in a plain and simple fashion". Indaco must be reading a different dictionary.

Based on our experience, they serve edgy inventive fare based loosely on Italian ideas. (Translation: large portions are small, small portions are smaller, and you'll never see many of these dishes anywhere else.) To their credit, the food is tasty, but presentations can be disconcerting if your preferred definition of "Italian" includes the word "traditional".

For example, take their Camera D'aria (translation: bladder, or inner tube), a pasta dish described as "shrimp, scallop, blue crab, green onion". When it arrives, it looks vaguely like tall, thin pieces of sushi standing on end. It's actually black pasta tubes filled with seafood. Delicious, but disconcerting.

I had the Tortellini in Brodo ("in broth", which of course I didn't know beforehand because my Italian isn't what it should be). I had the large portion, which wasn't anywhere near any definition of large I've ever seen. Again, tasty.

Desserts had been recommended, and their Chocolate Chip Cannoli was delicious.

Would we return? Not sure. We arrived after having had a couple of seafood appetizers at a restaurant down the street, and I still didn't feel satisfied after the meal. If you have a smaller appetite, your experience may be different.

• Visited September 2013