“Amazing soul food!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed August 13, 2013

During our 14 person family vacation/reunion we scheduled a stop here. With our big party we were advised to get there early, so we arrived before they opened for the day. This place is definitely a hole in the wall, with one room that seats 23 and the kitchen where they cook. The restaurant is family owned and operated, and everyone was so, so friendly! The food was beyond compare as well! For $11 (cash only) you get a meat (bone-in or -out fish, friend chicken, pork), 2 or 3 sides, and a drink. An amazing deal especially for the amount of food you receive! The food comes out to you piping hot too! Also, when they run out of something that's it for the rest of the day. This is definitely the best soul food I've ever had and hope I can make it back!

3  Thank tnchick88

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Like everyone else has said, this place IS a hole in the wall. And it's in the hood, it's hot, it's tiny, it takes forever, it's not super close by downtown and it seems like everyone is charged $11 whether you get two sides or one of their regular meals. But you should go anyway. The food is fantastic and cooked to order while you wait. How can you get any better than that with fried food?! The collard greens are quite possibly the best I have ever anywhere (and I am from the south) and the mac and cheese is great. The people who run it are hilarious and it just an overall amazing experience to have.

I will say, however, if you are not comfortable in situations like this, do not go. There was an older couple beside us who must have read about it in Southern Living and they were less than happy. In fact, they seemed overwhelmed and almost afraid to eat there. The restaurant seemed perfectly clean and they have all their certifications from the city, but it is not a place for everyone. So diners beware, this may not be for everyone. But if you are down to try a crazy, loud, almost sitting in her kitchen place for some banging fried chicken and collards, this is where you go!

1  Thank NorthSideLvr
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

So when you pull up to Martha Lou's it definitely has that "hole in the wall" appearance. We go in and are welcomed warmly by Martha and several others. I will say that it was HOT in the building. The air conditioner read 84 degrees inside and it was steady pumping air - ugh. We all ordered the fried chicken and it was one of the best prices of fried chicken I ever had! To add to that I also got the collard greens and WOW the best I have ever had in my entire life - I could have made a meal out of just the collard greens. So neadless to say the food is great!!! Price for the fried chicken and 2 or 3 sides plus a drink was $11 a person - so not a bad deal at all. If I lived in the area this would be a place I would get take out on a regular basis! I definitely recommend it!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Had the fried chicken (of course). Very good! Tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside! The staff (I think were mostly family members) made you feel extremely welcome. We went on a Wednesday (for lunch) and still had to wait for about 30 minutes for a table!! Highly recommend!!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I must say that the fried chicken was very good, but that's the only nice thing I can say about this restaurant. The iced tea isn't southern iced tea - it's instant lemon flavored tea that is awful. The Mac-n-cheese was gloppy and had no taste what so ever. And there is no rhyme or reason on how tables are served. It took over 45 minutes for our food to arrive when other tables seated way after ours were served before us. And $11 per person, no matter what you order is ridiculous. Two people in our group had one piece of chicken, water and one side each and two people had two piece's of chicken, tea and three sides each - we all had to pay $11 each --- crazy!

4  Thank soccerballetmom4