“Best Fried Chicken Evah!!!!”

Martha Lou's Kitchen
Ranked #119 of 926 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Best Fried Chicken Evah!!!!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Seriously, the best fried chicken I've ever had and I'm Southern, so I know my friend chicken! The crust is really crunchy but not greasy, which is hard to do! The meat inside is tender and juicy and is always cooked after you order, so it's always fresh and does not sit around under a heat lamp! The mac and cheese and lima beans were also fabulous. The corn bread muffins were equally good - kind of sweet (which I like) with a nice crusty outside. Since they are muffins, they have lots of crust!!! yummy!! BUT, be warned that they TAKE ONLY CASH! If my nine year old son had not had his wallet to help me pay, we would have been $10 short!! LOL!!
As others have said, you go for the food, not the atmosphere! The building is old and run down, but it has a high health dept. rating (A), so I would not worry about the cleanliness of the kitchen! I'll eat there every time I come back to Charleston and you should, too.....if you love fried chicken!!! Also, a note that it is $11 a plate for chicken, 3 sides and corn bread. A little high for similar joints, but worth it!

1 Thank Mrsjj204

Timonium, Maryland
“Very tasty”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner last night. Service great. The waiter helped us decide on things to see. Food was very good. Older kids eat their chicken waffles. I had scallops. Very good on a pesto butter sauce.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Wanted more!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I love that they invite first time visitors to sign their book with what they liked and where they're from. My 12 year old is planning a trip here as soon as she gets her license. :) The building, food, atmosphere and Martha Lou are all one of a kind! We enjoyed every crumb of the breading and corn bread. I do wish they would have had bread pudding the day we visited. The menu does not give the price for their dinners but the $11 we paid was worth the amount of food we had. Drinks were also included. Dinners come with 2 or 3 sides and they offer a couple different items each day. They also have ala cart options for all of their meats and sides.
Monday - Fried Chicken, Fish, Pork Chops, Baked Turkey Wings, White Rice, Cabbage, Macaroni, Lima Beans, Corn Bread, Bread Pudding
Tuesday - Fried Chicken, Fish, Pork Chops, Mystery Meat, White Rice, Okra Soup, Macaroni, Lima Beans, Corn Bread, Bread Pudding
Wednesday - Fried Chicken, Fish, Pork Chops, Beef Stew, Chitterlings, Collard Greens, White Rice, Baked Macaroni, Lima Beans, Corn Bread, Bread Pudding
Thursday - Fried Chicken, Fish, Pork Chops, Baked Chicken, White Rice, Giblet Rice, String Beans, Macaroni, Lima Beans, Corn Bread, Bread Pudding
Friday - Fried Chicken, Fish, Pork Chops, Barbecue Ribs, Red Rice, White Rice, Cabbage, Baked Macaroni, Lima Beans, Corn Bread

1 Thank Jennifer H
Mt. Pleasant, SC
“OMG”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

A recent Southern Living Magazine named Martha Lou's Kitchen one of the top five fried chicken places in the South. I certainly agree. Martha Lou's has been cooking for 30 years and this was my first visit. It's location is near downtown but not a place that I usually go. It is worth the trip up Morrison Drive. It is small with limited seating. Go early and you won't have to wait in line. The wait for your chicken is long - it is cooked as it is ordered but that is why it is so good. They serve fresh home made sides that are also wonderful. I saw some really good looking fried fish and pork chops that people around us were obviously enjoying.

Highland Village, Texas, United States
“A must visit”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We visited here after reading about their fabulous fried chicken in Southern Living. We were not disappointed, but not totally prepared for the atmosphere....it's like a single wide trailer, yet only half the length-perhaps why it's a must see. Martha Lou and her daughter plus others make you feel like family. We had the fried chicken, lima beans and collards. It was really good, but surprised that it was noted in SL.