“Not really soulful”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Whiting fish was poorly seasoned. Red rice and okra gumbo was ok. Cornbread was cold and dry. Mac and cheese looked and tasted like it was scraped from the bottom of the pan from last weeks leftovers.

1  Thank Reetireet
Write a ReviewReviews (2,762)

Reviewed August 19, 2014

This was close to our B and B so we walked. We would recommend this to someone who wants good southern food for less money. This was recommended by our hostess. She told us it would be crowded but that the line moves fast. It was and it did. It is not fancy. Our table was next to some boxes of Ne-hi soft drinks. We had to wait outside until a table became available. The manager (I think) was gruff when we walked in the front door. He told us to go back outside. They have built in benches on the side of the building. We mad several new friends white waiting. The food was great. We both had fried chicken and biscuits. We had enough food for another meal. The meal came with free side dishes. A great meal. One negative. I ordered a grape Ne-hi. It did not come for awhile after my meal until the manager(?) came over and asked if everything was ok. He went and got it. Our waiter showed up awhile later and noticed my drink but did not say anything. Everything else was good.

1  Thank Carl R
Reviewed August 19, 2014

This place lived up to the hype. Most of us got the fried chicken and we couldn't believe how big the portions were. Next time I'm in Charleston, I'll be back, but maybe for the also famous meatloaf.

1  Thank Jay E
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We had lunch here on a Saturday afternoon and was very good home cooked southern food. There was about a 15 minute wait, but it was worth it. If you like good home cooked food then this place is the best. We will again eat here and recommend it!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Went to enjoy lunch with family while here in Charleston. This is a casual drop in and the food is Southern homestyle. I ordered meat loaf which was good. Very moist and savory. One of our family ordered the fried chicken. I should have ordered it. She said it was the best fried chicken she'd ever had so I took a bite and said the same thing. Had the cucumbers and vinegar too-not bad. Fried okra is good-just not as good as my grandmothers...:)

The restaurant was very busy but the waiter was fast and helped us with our two young ones. We timed lunch right-we were a little early. When we left, the line went out the door and around the building. Good food-I'd go back and eat some more fried chicken.