“8.5 out of 10--good Southern food”
Review of Jestine's Kitchen

Jestine's Kitchen
Ranked #59 of 938 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Jestine's is highly recommended,and an easy walk from the market area, so we headed there for lunch. Since it was a Thursday, about 2pm the line was short;best to go a few minutes before they open, or an hour before they close,to avoid a long wait. Nice to have one person stand in line,and walk across the street to snap some photos of at the Charleston Fire Department. The staff is fun and engaging, and the decor is typical Southern; relaxing and fun. This is the first Southern restaurant I have ever been to that you had to order cornbread as an appetizer; it was good,but don't know that I'd pay extra for it again. We had the larger meatloaf plate, and the dish was good, but frankly, a little drier than I thought it might be, although the flavor is good. Mac and cheese was good,but they are served in very small bowls,so somewhat smaller servings than we expected. But, the good thing about smaller servings, is that you have saved room for dessert! We ordered an apple dessert,and a banana pudding. Both desserts were good,but the pudding really was our favorite. The apple dessert was like a "brown betty",with oats as a crust. The banana pudding is truly one of our Southern staples,and Jestine's is well made.
We enjoyed Jestine's,but might try another restaurant on our next visit. I would suggest coming here, though, as the location and staff are great,and the food is good.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch at Jestine's Kitchen last week when I spent (too short of) a day in Charleston. Wanting a true southern lunch, I enjoyed their pickled cucumbers, fried chicken, fried okra, fried green tomatoes, and cole slaw, and of course, a taste of sweet tea. The service was excellent and the food, delicious. The tables were full at lunch time, but we didn't have a wait. I highly recommend Jestine's as you wander the Museum Mile in Charleston!

Reviewed June 20, 2014

This place had awesome southern food. The fried chicken, mac n cheese and collard greens are out of this world! Country food in a casual setting.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Rode motorcycles from Northern IL to Charleston SC to experience "the South". Well, as far as food is concerned, we found it at Jestine's! We were only in town for three nights, and two of those nights were spent at this restaurant. Having read about shrimp & grits for years, I was introduced to the real thing here by our server, Josh, who is a wonderful person and server. The dish was absolutely outstanding. The side of collard greens was amazing. Husband and friends all enjoyed their meals, and we rounded off the evening with a lovely slice of coca-cola cake. Do it.

Returned for their Southern fried chicken night, and were sorry that Josh wasn't working :( however, the chicken did NOT disappoint. Warning: it's a lot of food and more chicken than one woman could (should) eat.

The decor in this sweet little restaurant is comfy and homey, and appears that people who come in for dinner tend to linger a bit and just enjoy.

No doubt that we will return to this fine restaurant some day! It's on our top-ten list.

1  Thank Gigix4
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Well well what can I say it was from start to finish delicious. Had to wait about 20 minutes for a table but once inside service by Josh was super. He was so helpful an very attentative an fun. Starts out with the pickled cucumbers which were delicious. Had appetizers of corn fritters an fried green tomatoes each with a delicious relish. I had Fried chicken dinner which had three huge pieces of chicken. Was super juicy,crispy and flavorful seasonings. Sides were very creamy Mac n cheese collard greens perfect. My husband had the fried chicken livers which were super good. So all in all great dinner,great experience, great service by Josh.

1  Thank MiamiTravelers_7