“First lunch in Charleston”
Review of Jestine's Kitchen

Jestine's Kitchen
Ranked #53 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went to Jestine's on our first day in Charleston. I have to say we were not disappointed. I had the fried green tomatoe salad and my husband the fried chicken. We also had sweet tea and an order of corn bread. My salad was delicious and the fried chicken wonderful. Neither of us really liked the corn bread. Felt it was dry and heavy. Sweet tea perfect. Service was great. Prices were fair. If you have time it is worth the visit.

1  Thank cfrieday1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,761)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were looking forward to our visit to Justine’s Kitchen after reading several positive reviews. Words cannot express the utter disappointment we experienced. We got off to a terrible start with our waitress Belinda. When she first came over, she hastily and gruffly took our drink orders. While reviewing the menu, my husband noticed that it requests we notify our server if there will be spilt checks in advance of ordering. Since we were traveling with another couple, this was the case. Upon Belinda’s return and rough setting down of our drinks, he advised her we would have split checks. She looked down to write something on her note pad (I assume about the split checks) but in no form or fashion did she acknowledge my husband’s statement (i.e., did not look up from her pad). We thought she might still be writing, so waited for several awkward seconds upon which she very rudely said “OK, someone order!” That really set a miserable tone to our meal. We were hoping the quality of food would somewhat make up for this terrible start. That was not the case. The food is completely bland and obviously mass-produced. When my sister-in-law asked for a side of macaroni and cheese to go with her meal, it was brought to her in a bowl in less than 30 seconds. We also all had to salt our food which testifies to the fact that the food completely lacked in flavor. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. It is completely overrated.

4  Thank FL_Tampa
Reviewed September 14, 2013

According to the King Charles Inn this place is closed indefinitely for renovations. We were disappointed as we were going to eat there for lunch the day we checked in and it was just up the street. I would check before you go!

1  Thank pkpr98
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was recommended by friends and family who had been so we had to try it out. There was a long wait to get in there and we were excited to try such a popular place. We were a bit disappointed with the food and found it just OK.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have been there several times - and it is 90 minutes away- and well worth the trip! I am not sure if it is open- when we tried to go in July- it was closed as well- so call ahead. The home style cooking is amazing. The fried chicken, cornbread -- everything is awesome. Save room for dessert as everything is homemade.