“Wait in Line_DvB”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Texas
“Wait in Line_DvB”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Don’t cut the line. There seems to always be one, and it starts around the corner so don’t skip.
Fortunately the wait is short, as I experienced and was told by others.

The service is representative of our Southern heritage as our server/waitress was friendly and offered suggestions, but did not hustle like I experienced at only one restaurant on this visit. She wasn’t slow, just unhurried, so the drinks may have remained unfilled for a few minutes, and the order wasn’t taken for a few minutes, etc. Since I was on an untimed lunch break with several lovely people, the delays were part of the charm, but I can imagine visitors from other regions taking this the wrong way.

The food was delicious and portions generous. I had the fried catfish and took a sample of the fired chicken. Both were very good. For once I even had dessert, and it and the “good coffee” were both very tasty. If you are visiting for more than a few days, you should eat there for lunch and dinner at least once apiece. There are many other restaurants that are very good in this city, and many in this walking vicinity, but I think this restaurant embodies the city, culture, and serves a great experience as well as flavorful meal.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Kaiser_D

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
“Great Food”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The bread pudding and pecan pie were excellent, as were the main course. The ribs were exceptional. The service was fast and pleasant

Elyria, Ohio, United States
“Home Style Cooking...that could be had at home.”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Tiny little neighborhood restaurant that came highly recommended to us...We ate there for lunch. Be prepared to wait outside, but line moves fast. Very inexpensive, good food, but worth all the hype? They bring out complementary pickled cucumbers, which WERE very yummy. We got a basket of cornbread which was "Meh." I had a meatloaf platter, and I will say it was very good. Flavorful, and finished on a grill for a nice touch. Mashed potatoes were better than mine, which made me mad! Collard greens were OK--never had 'em before so I have nothing to compare them too. Hubby had grilled cheese sandwich--too much cheese for him (but he's weird about that.) Coleslaw was excellent. Service was prompt. Can't really complain about anything, but can't rave about it either.

• Visited October 2012
Juneau, Alaska
“Delicious and unpretentious”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I loved the southern food, wonderful service, and casual atmosphere. My taxi driver told me this was his favorite, and i now see why.

Roseburg, Oregon
“Great Experience and Food”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Jestine's was a unique little restaurant with an interesting history. The waiters were helpful and friendly. Each member of our party tried a different selection so we could see a variety. The waiting line is somewhat confusing just don't stand at the corner of the building or you won't be seen when they have a table for you! Everyone enjoyed the food although I make better meatloaf!