“Great Italian Food!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mondo's Italian Cuisine
Ranked #147 of 895 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: James Island
Rising Sun, MD.
“Great Italian Food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family and I dined here based upon the reviews online and they definitely didn't disappoint. After enjoying The Festival of Lights we arrived for our dinner reservation. The restaurant was definitely full, but they had our table ready and waiting for us. The focaccia bread that they have on the table is good, but I didn't care for the olive oil that they had to dip it in, so we requested butter which was brought out to the table. We ordered quite a few things. We had the caesar salad which was good, as well as the garden salad that comes with the eggplant parmesan. The garden salad was delicious, even better than the caesar salad in my opinion. The eggplant parmesan is not what I would normally order, but it was absolutely delicious! The spaghetti and meatballs were very good, as well as the sausage rigatoni. The only thing that did disappoint me was the fact that my son ordered the baked ziti and added on the sausage for an additional four dollars. When he ordered this he made it very clear that he would like to split the sausage if possible between sweet and hot since he likes both. Well the ziti was delicious, but I was a little disappointed when I received the bill and was charged for two orders of sausage. He had made it very clear that he only wanted one order, but to split it between the sweet and hot. Needless to say I ended up paying $19.00 for what should have been a $15.00 meal. I do think that if the waitstaff is unsure, that it is in there place to clarify an order. We would definitely return and eat here again if we're visiting this area.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Charleston, South Carolina
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

We went here for the first time, with two other couples, and really enjoyed it. Fabulous eggplant parmesan. My only complaint -- the ceiling lights were so bright that they made me feel like I was in an interrogation room. Even after turning them down, it was still bright -- one of our dinner companions changed seats with me. No big deal overall because the food was great. I understand this is a family-owned business and that makes it ever more special. We'll definitely be back.

Visited December 2013
Old Fort, North Carolina
“Glad we tried it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

The property managers of the house we rented on Folly Beach recommended Mondo's to us and we always listen to the locals when it comes to choosing restaurants while on vacation. As others here mention, the restaurant is in a very unassuming location, almost a strip mall, but we have a restaurant like that where we live and it's one of the best in town. It's always the little local restaurants that wow you. I have to say, at first, I was a little wary when we got there, not because of the location, but because one of the main reasons we picked Mondo's was that we were told it was not a kid magnet. However, when we got there, what was the first noise when we opened the door...a screaming toddler. We don't fault the restaurant for that, though. It happens. At any rate, we chose to sit outside on the lovely patio as the weather was perfect for it, ordered a nice bottle of wine, and the experience just got better from there. Our meal was fantastic! The menu has several options, which makes it really hard to choose one. We started with the bruschetta, which was the best bruschetta I've had at a restaurant. The tomatoes, perfection. I had the pesto pasta for dinner, while my husband and friends had other pasta dishes and all were happy. The desserts were also very well-prepared. The cannoli was amazing! Compliments to the chef on a wonderful meal, and to our server, who was attentive and knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor. We will most definitely come back to this restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
Charleston, SC
“Fabulous lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Mondo's is a very popular neighborhood restaurant and for good reason. Their wide variety of Italian food offerings are both traditional and innovative, and it is always difficult to make a choice. My most recent lunch was a culinary delight. The soup of the day, celery root bisque with pieces of pancetta, was absolutely fabulous. That was followed by a crunchy kale salad topped with grilled Scottish salmon for me and grilled shrimp for my friend. The chopped kale salad included sliced Brussels sprouts, chopped apples, dried cherries, radicchio, sunflower seeds, and a maple balsamic vinaigrette that was out of this world. If you are visiting Charleston and can get over to James Island, don't miss this restaurant for lunch or dinner.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Consistent for travelers and locals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Everytime I come here I am never disappointed. The food is always fresh, prepared meticulously, and the service here is excellent. The prices are reasonable and the quality and consistency of the food they serve here are always amazing. You cannot go wrong with anything you order. It gets quite crowded here in season and is noisy. We came off season and was warmly welcomed and seated promptly. I would come back here again.

• Visited September 2013