“Historic restaurant ...historically small portions”
Review of McCrady's Tavern

McCrady's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
McCrady's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #124 of 966 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: East Bay & Broad
Reviewed May 24, 2014

While vacationing on the Isle of Palms, my wife and I love going into Charleston for dining and touring. We wanted an upscale quiet supper in the heart of the historic district and felt McCrady's would fit the bill. The food quality was fine but the bill was expensive and the portion sizes were disappointingly meager. We left impressed by the ambiance and service but looking around for more calories.

3  Thank ajmmd
Write a ReviewReviews (1,102)

Reviewed May 23, 2014

If your tired of the endless offerings of Shrimp and Grits and other typical southern fare then McCrady's is a welcomed alternative. The farm to table concept employed here is more than just a marketing gimmick, the freshness of the ingredients really shine, the menu is inventive and the food was tasty. Service was a bit sketchy, maybe the waitress was new, she seemed very unsure of the food and wine but overall she did an OK job. We had the 4 course tasting menu with wine pairings and it was just enough. You will not leave stuffed but you will leave full. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area and want some cuisine.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Important to note: They only have prix-fixe offerings; no a la carte menu items. A charming, rustic setting. The dishes were creative and imaginative. Generally, the food was excellent, but the scallop first course was very oversalted; it was sent back and removed from our bill. The beef tartare dish was excellent and uniquely crafted. The Saumur sparkler paired with it was spot on. My trout dish was very good; a detraction was the too-intense, bright-green parsley puree, which overpowered the delicate fish. Also, the skin of the fish was less crispy than I had hoped for. The duo of pork was scintillating in its flavor combinations, and the plate was presented in the form of a palmetto tree. This was one of the best pork dishes that I have ever eaten. Kudos to the chef! The roasted duck dish was also outstanding, and its presentation was spectacular. The service was very good, but less attentive than one might prefer. We had to ask for more bread, and the water was not paid close attention to. BTW, the bread was not that satisfying and ought to be reexamined (both types were too fluffy). I spent 20 min studying the very massive wine list and selecting a top-notch 2010 Leonetti Walla Walla red, based on Wine Spectator searches (93 pts; fabulous tasting notes for what I was after). But the bottle delivered was 2011 (91 pts; more importantly, not as favorable notes). I was duly irritated and told them so. Inexcusable for a top-caliber restaurant with such a wide wine selection. We settled for a 2004 Flaccianello at a much higher tariff. Many of the red wines were on the younger side; basically, not fully mature.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

First day in Charleston on Easter weekend 2014, Friday night. We were interested in the oyster place but it was so packed we left our name and went next door to McCrady's. We were immediately seated at a table. The menu looked terrific but we weren't hungry enough to do a full course. We asked to move to the bar and the staff was accommodating. I was pleased there was no animosity.

The #1 thing I can say about McCrady's was how pleasant the staff was. We were treated graciously from start to finish. We were two wet rats from out of town and the moment we entered this shelter we were treated graciously from start to finish. I cannot say enough about that, it wouldn't have mattered how good the food was if the "feeling" wasn't right.

Now on to the food! Sitting at the bar and not very hungry but needing to eat something we perused the specials on the board. We chose SWEETBREAD & SOFT SHELLED CRAWFISH.

The presentation of the food was great. The food was excellent. There is not enough stars to put behind my review. It has been a couple of months and my wife is still talking about the food. The sweetbread was a once in a lifetime experience for her, I honestly think she'll make it her last wish. I've ignored the soft shell crawfish because the sweetbread was that damn good.

From start to finish the service at the bar was exemplary. I tipped accordingly, it was a good night for all.

For our first weekend in Charleston this was the #1 restaurant we visited, the one we still talk about. It was an experience to remember!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

The food was amazing and the service was impeccable. We have dined at several restaurants that offer a set menu with wine pairings and this was the best executed meal I have ever had. Just as you would start to think, "It would be nice to get the next glass of wine," it would appear. The time between the courses was perfect. The food was wonderful and I would highly recommend this restaurant.