“Quality but not Quantity”
Review of McCrady's Tavern

McCrady's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
McCrady's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 936 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: East Bay & Broad
Reviewed November 21, 2013

we recently visited this restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday, we made reservations way in advance, decor is nice, we had the price fix fare, the food was very tasty and very good, the portions served were very small leaving you feel if it was all worth it. Do not come hungry to this restaurant, portions are very small but again tasty.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

It pains me not to give a full 5 stars to McCrady's, but we just had our second meal there, and we weren't as smitten as we were the first time.

Let me explain: We first ate at McCrady's 3 years ago and, ever since, have dreamt about returning. It was easily one of the best meals we'd ever had.

So, when we found out we were heading to Charleston for another visit recently, the first thing we did was make reservations. We also were taking my parents, and that was a big gamble. They aren't modernist/high-end cuisine lovers, and they rolled their eyes more than once at the prices.

First, there was a snooty bartender. Okay, I'll forgive that. Then, after having had reservations for 3 months, they led us to the "back room" that was clearly an add-on. The vibe and decor of the room is COMPLETELY different than the many dining room. As a result, all ambiance is lost. I requested a table in the main room, and we were told we'd have to wait 25 more minutes. No problem; we waited.

Once we got seated and looked at the menu, it was clear the restaurant had changed quite a bit since we were last there. There were mostly tasting menus, much less variety, and a lackluster list of desserts.

We opted to go for it, and all 4 of us did the 8-course tasting. 4 or 5 of the courses were delicious, but--as you expect--the portions are VERY small. We were all hungry afterwards. Most disappointingly, the desserts in the tasting were terrible. None of us finished the dessert. That was particularly disappointing as, the last time we were there, we had a flight of housemade sorbets that pretty much made my life.

Our bill was $750 (we also had a bottle of wine) for 4. We live in Chicago and eat fine dining a lot, so we didn't have sticker shock. We did, however, leaving questioning whether or not the experience and the meal had been worth it.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

For the price, this restaurant should be better. We had heard great things about the restaurant and were perhaps expecting too much. But we are foodies and really enjoy eating at fine restaurants where ever we visit. We had not been to Charleston before so wanted to try the best places. While we did not have a bad experience at this restaurant, we also did not have a great experience at this restaurant. The menu was not that inspiring. We found ourselves trying to find something we wanted to eat instead of trying to narrow down our options. And the food, when it came was fine, but not any different than things we have eaten in lots of other restaurants other than the Charleston Ice Cream - which is not ice cream but rather a rice dish, that was very tasty and different. The amibiance is lovely and the service was great. It just was not an amazing culinary adventure.

1  Thank dallastexastraveller
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've eaten at Husk a couple times, so I knew I needed to try McCradys. We ate early, so for a good half-hour, it was just us in the gorgeous restaurant, but even when it was full when we left, it was never loud. The server was so wonderful. She was warm, friendly and helpful. She told us all about the foods the was serving. I loved nearly all of the food I was served, and I'll admit it: The fish dish I had (second course) was so good, I could have licked the plate. An unforgettable meal and experience.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was a magnificant dining experience. The service was great. We had a time constraint and they got us out at exactly the right time. The four course meal was great. The wine pairings were fabulous! If I am lucky enough to return I will do the chefs tasting menu with wine pairing.