“Liked the Decor More Than the Food”
Review of McCrady's Tavern

McCrady's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
McCrady's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: East Bay & Broad
Palm Beach, Florida
“Liked the Decor More Than the Food”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were warmly welcomed by a friendly manager and hostess. I really liked the ambiance and European Gothic inspired decor which make for a classy elegant setting. Despite some of the mixed reviews, I was eager to experience Mc Grady's especially after perusing their online menu. Although the portion size tended to be smaller even for multi courses, I did leave feeling satiated. While the food is creative, interesting and tasty, I found it lacking that haute cuisine impact that makes for memorable 5 star dining. Perhaps my expectations were misplaced to begin with and Mc Grady's delivered on their concept, so I might have missed the boat. The one element that I did find very disappointing was the wait staff. Our particular waiter was very nice but very inattentive. He did not refill waters, forgot my husband's wine request and really lacked energy and enthusiasm. So despite my opinion, the restaurant was filled to capacity, so it is obvious that others do appreciate it.

• Visited August 2013

New Jersey
“Service Is Top Notch!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The menu here changes daily and there is a nice variety of fish, chicken & meat. The portions are scaled so that you can enjoy all the courses without being overly full.
The staff is very friendly and accommodating in every way. The waiter ensured everyone had beverages throughout the meal and thought of everything ahead of time before anyone even thought to ask.
He even held the main door to the restrooms as he was walking by as we made our way in that direction.
Everyone enjoyed their meals and desserts.
The option of round tables for large parties made it easy to converse with everyone at the table.
They timed everything perfectly so that we left at the exact time to walk to the theater for the play we were seeing next!
Will get to this establishment on the next trip into Charleston.

Barbados
“Delicious Four Course Meals Served in Small Portions”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is an elegant restaurant with delicious food. The four course menu offers something for everyone. To start we had the shrimp, small morsels with big flavor. A must! My second course was trout. It was crisp on the outside and moist on the inside. Melt in your mouth delicious! My husband chose the apple salad and then the pork as his main, which he thoroughly enjoyed. My main was the tiny steak. The steak was good but not as tender as tenderloin and I did not like the black eggplant sauce that was served with it. I found it to be bitter. My cheese course was lovely with local cheeses and three sauces. The perfect ending to my meal. My husband chose the frozen pear dessert which I too enjoyed. Our service was excellent. I definitely recommend McCradys for a fine dining experience.

• Visited October 2013
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Worth a four (4!) wait and > $100 per person...”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We didn't have reservations and arrived to find the restaurant completely filled and two-deep at the bar. I would rate them a five but they had absolutely no seating accommodations for the queue. We literally stood at the bar for 2 hours, had difficulty even getting a glass of wine, and then shared one bar stool for next 2 hours. We ended up seated at a big community table, which we were grateful for after watching amazing dishes being carried to tables. We did snag a few glasses of wine--relying on bartender's recommendation. The food was perhaps the best expensive meal I've ever had in my life (after Edmundo's in Eastchester, NY - many. many years ago). We were somewhat surprised by our final tally - only 2 drinkers in a party of 3 and we split an appetizer, had three entrees, and split a dessert - was over $300 without tip! Lesson learned - we didn't know the price of the wine we were drinking by the glass. Woo-hoo. Still, despite the wait and the sticker shock, the evening was worth every penny.

• Visited June 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Yummy”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Chilled English Pea Soup and Masami Ranch Beef were wonderful. A little stuffy for us Okies but enjoyed the food nonetheless.

• Visited March 2013