“Delicious and interesting food/ingredient combinations.”
Review of McCrady's Tavern

McCrady's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
McCrady's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 911 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: East Bay & Broad
“Delicious and interesting food/ingredient combinations.”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely dinner with Michael, our server, helping with our selections. I chose my courses and he picked complimentary for my husband. Each bite was flavorful and at times surprising.

Georgia
“Excellent service but small portions...”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Been to Charleston several times but this was our first time trying McCradys. Loved the atmosphere... Excellent service. We had Michael as our server and he was impeccable. It was on the pricey side which I don't mind but I felt like you didn't get much food for what your paying. I had the trout which was amazing and served with sautéed veggies (small amount) and my husband had the beef (served with no sides) (no apps, sides, salads, or dessert and tab was still close to $150 for the two of us). With that being said it was a great experience and I'm glad we tried it out! Food was great! Service was even better!

Kettering, United Kingdom
“Fantastic in all respects”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We dined at McCrady's twice in 3 days - the first time doing the 7 course taster menu with paired wines, then 2 days later the 4 courser again with paired wines. We came across it in a mention in the Moon Handbook for South Carolina and were blown away both times. The service was attentive but not intrusive, the sommelier personable and, like our waiter, extremely knowledgeable and passionate about their drink and food. Each mouthful was delicious enough but the wine pairings were like a taste explosion. Such a relief to find food with nuances after 10 days of being faced with deep fried allsorts, burgers, fries, ribs and everything dosed massively with salt. McCrady's would surely be Michelin star-rated. Expensive but positively unforgettable.

1 Thank Kaaring
“Amazing Food Experience”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I found McCrady's during my pretrip to Charleston pre work. When we arrived, it was down a cobble stone street and the bar looked great. Our waiter, Kyle was knowledgable and consistent. The staff that supported him, including a manger went above and beyond to ensure our meal was top notch. The four courses for $65 were generous in size. I was full after the second, but I was glad to eat the third and fourth. The summer squash salad, benne bread, grouper, beef and chocolate pave were excellent. I will go back when I return to charleston, it was delicious and a great food experience!!!!

1 Thank TravelingTeach1003
Tucson, Arizona
“Foodie Destination a must!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Down a back alley, cool stone street, lit by a lone gas light stands the discrete entrance to McCrady's. It used to be a carriage house and it has a historical feeling with a bit chillax. Knowing that George Washington had eaten in the upstairs dining room is believable when you walk up the stairs and see the beautifully restored twin dining rooms.

Inspired menu. Cool decor. Deviled eggs at the bar. Usually I try the tasting menu, however i had invited people that are very good foodies but instead wanted whole entree's. We ordered simply and then were blown away by the uniqueness of each dish. The English Green Pea soup with pickled clams, strawberries, and mint is out of this world. The amuse bouche was a collection of edible and indescribable flavors that paired together as a "critters on a log"-kind of bite. My main was a pork chop with green almonds, parsnips, green peas, and rhubarb. Rested and charred to perfection. It is the best pork chop I've ever had.

The service is on par with any. All the edible greens and herbs are grown nearby. Almost all the food is local raised organic from sustainable farms. The fish is FRESH! I received a tour of the kitchen, met with the pastry chef and returned the next morning to talk with the herbalist who grows all their organic greens...it was an amazing conversation about what it takes to be fully involved in the meal as a whole. 365 days of commitment with a string of local partners with the same vision.
You can't go wrong with the menu. The best restaurant in Charleston, I tried all the top rated and many of the restaurants the staff at McCrady's suggested. It is a cut above the rest.
Sean Brock is the best new Chef I have had the pleasure of sampling. He does deserve the James Beard Award for best chef in the South.

We changed our reservations several times during the day due to arrival drive time. The staff was accommodating and kept our table. The wine list and tasting menu is exceptional. The desert was so extraordinary, after eating at other restaurants the next evening, four of us returned to eat just desert at McCrady's

• Visited June 2013