“Embarrassing”
Review of McCrady's Tavern

McCrady's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
McCrady's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cross street: East Bay & Broad
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Embarrassing”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We live in the Charleston area and make it a regular event to visit our fine restaurants. Out latest trip to McCrady's was a serious dissapointment. Except for the service and the meat course, our four course dinner was pretty bad. Portions are ridiculously small and over presented as art, not food. The deserts were awful. Perhaps Sean Brock needs to stop reading his own ubiquitous advertisements and focus on better food prepartion. It is embarrassing that this extraordinary and genuinely historic building can not be the scene of truly fine dining. The atmosphere is very nice with one inexplicable exception. An entire wall next to the entrance is devoted to pictures advertising the event venue upstairs, The Long Room. When I pay $200 for a night out dining, I really should not have to look at a full wall advertisement for a wedding/meeting venue. I would hope the owners and managerse of this building would have more respect not just for their customers but for the history of the building they are fortunate enough to maintain. The bar will contiue to be a place I take out of town guests, for the atmosphere and the genuine...not walking tour...history. But until the restaurant decides to get serious about serving good food and the owner decides to get rid of the billboard wall, I'll eat elsewhere and would advise people to do the same. Too many really good restaurants in town.

4 Thank Stan B

Charleston, South Carolina
“A different place”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The atmosphere is lovely. The staff was pleasant and attentive. I had a nice dinner with three courses. The winter salad's dressing was unique. The entree was chicken and dumplings. The chicken was tender, but the dumplings were like miniature tater tots. Dessert was dark chocolate cake and creme brulee. The cake was kind of dry, but the creme brulee was fine. Next time I would be willing to try something else on the menu.

NJ
“Worst place I have ever eaten!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

If you want uncooked fish, raw steak you found the place. The servers were rude and when asked to cook the fish and steak, I was told the steak was dry aged and had no blood so it was ok to be rare (It was Pittsburg rare) and the fish was cold to the touch in the center. We were lucky we did not end up in the hospital. We walked out and ate elsewhere after wasting several hours.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank MEVNJ
“Great experience!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

My hubby and I were in Charleston for just one night, and had heard great things about mcCradys. We were not disappointed. We tried the tasting menu paired with the wine selections- we were pleasantly surprised at some of the wine selections, things we would have never chosen ourselves, but then I guess that's why they have a solmenier! There are some complaints on here about portion size, and since we had the tasting menu the portions are supposed to be very small, just a bite or two (that's the whole point), we did not leave hungry that's for sure! Everything was cooked to perfection, really loved the Portland the duck courses! Delicious!!

“Not a good night for McCrady's”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I have been to McCrady's before and thoroughly enjoyed the meal, wine and knowledgable, attentive staff. This visit, however, was beyond disappointing. We had a made a reservation a couple of weeks ago and the restaurant called and confirmed with us on Friday. We arrived on time and were given two options for tables - one table was immediately beside the hostess station near the front door. Every time the door opened we knew it would be cold so we opted for the other available table. This table was tucked in the bar area. I wasn't terribly pleased with this option either because frankly when you are dropping $200 on dinner (w/wine pairing) you don't want to sit in a bar. We sucked it up though until again the door kept opening and bringing in the cold air. They moved us to a corner in the dining room. my back was to the dining room but I had a beautiful view of watching the staff slice bread and again overflow from the bar as patrons sat on a stone wall (separating the bar from the main dining-room) chatting.

Our first course arrived - it was a crab dish. The taste was good but I had shells in mine. I didn't bring to the attention of the waiter as I realize this can happen from time to time. The waiter then brought our second wine out and we awaited the second course - NOTE: I had looked at the menu on line about 1/2 hour before we left and the second course had a scallop offering - upon getting there this item was no longer on the menu. They had not run out but rather didn't have any to begin with. Anyway, we both had an alternate - me - shrimp and my husband a white fish. We sat and sat looking at our wine glass awaiting the food to go with it. Finally it was delivered by an alternate wait staff and it was luke warm at best. We sent it back and the manager came over and apologized and said she would make it right and get new selections right out to us. She delivered on this promptly and also checked back with us. The third selection of wine was poured and the meal delivered My husband ordered lamb cooked at medium temp. I ordered sirloin medium/rare. Just when we thought this couldn't get worse - we were very wrong. My husband's lamb was literally cold in the middle and my steak was tough as nails. The manager came back over, concurred with our opinion and offered to fix. At this point we were done with the horrible food and even refused the fourth course (dessert). Mind you these courses are 3 -4 oz in size so we left hungry. The manager Kellie H was very professional and apologetic about the situation but the damage was done. I believe the first screw up of cold food was the waiter's fault and not watching his tickets. The second screw up was 100% the chef. So, we tipped our waiter for his efforts and left. It is disappointing when you think you have found that special place when traveling and then have such a let down

1 Thank ImHomeNow