“Cheated of performance”
Review of Mezz

Mezz
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was my first time in Charleston and I was happy to find a jazz venue that was open on a week night. The ambience is nice. The acoustics is great. However, the band got on the stage late and performed for only thirty minutes. They even delayed the start of their next set as I believe they were waiting to see if the crowd would get bigger. There was no apology or explanation from the restaurant; you just had to observe for yourself what was going on. In addition to the jazz issue...the food was good and pricey. The service was great before the band got on stage. After the band got on stage my server could hardly be found. I don't know if he was working at the restaurant downstairs as well as the Mezz, but one thing I do know is that this was not a good first impression/experience.

2  Thank SpiritofExcellence

Reviewed January 12, 2014

On the bright side: the food was scrumptious!!! Our waitress was very willing to customize my order to my peculiar tastes without batting an eye. My lunch (croque Monsieur without ham) was so decadent!

On the down side: the service was somewhat slow and there is no place to wait, so if you're waiting for a table you will feel very awkward waiting by the front door as people filter in and out.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We had wandered up and down the main streets of Charleston for almost an hour trying to find somewhere decent to eat which was just southern fried food, as we had experienced a lot of that and were ready for something different
Food was well cooked and flavorsome food, with wonderful service
I had a main of PARMESAN & BASIL ENCRUSTED SALMON and it was delicious

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We went there for the jazz, and were surprised by a really excellent meal as well. A bit on the pricy side, so if you're looking for a value meal, probably not the best place to go. There just didn't seem to be that many live music places in downtown.

1  Thank Neil H
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I stumbled upon Mezz as a result of having lunch at Sermet's Restaurant. Mezz is the lounge on the upper level of Sermet's. The night we went, the Charleston Latin Jazz Collective (http://www.charlestonlatinjazz.com/) was playing there. We are told they typically play two sets, one from 8-10PM and the second one from 10PM. In reality they played for about 90 minutes but the music was wonderful. There is a small dance floor in front of the stage and we were able to dance to the Latin beat along with a few other couples who showed off their moves.

The lounge is also an eating area and food comes off of the Sermet's menu so the venue provides great food, beautiful live music and a space to dance. What more can one ask for?

2  Thank SelectTraveler