“Loved this restaurant”

Middleton Place Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Middleton Place Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #88 of 940 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Middleton Place Restaurant strives to integrate the freshest local ingredients in a blended style of traditional Southern cuisine with a contemporary edge. A lead supporter of South Carolina farmers, about fifty percent of the Restaurant's dinner menu is either from the plantation garden or locally sourced seafood and poultry. Nestled among centuries old live oak trees, Middleton Place Restaurant offers an unrivaled combination of historic and present day delights. General Admission to Middleton Place required for Lunch service only.
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Dined here on recommendation and were not disappointed. If you have reservations you get access to the plantation and can wander the grounds free after 5 pm. We took advantage of this and had a very enjoyable evening. The restaurant was not too busy and so the atmosphere was quiet and romantic.

Pros -
Great value as the meals were reasonably priced
Beautiful view from the restaurant created a great atmosphere
Friendly staff

Cons -
Not much. If I was to complain about anything I would say that it might have been nice to have a little more variety on the menu.

Probably the most enjoyable meal of my trip. I would love to return again!

1  Thank bjstirling

Reviewed August 2, 2009

Went here for lunch while touring the plantation. The eating area was glassed in and the view of the landscape was beautiful. They serve a three-course meal for a reasonable price and you get good size portions. Had the she-crab soup as a starter, it was very good. Had the shrimp and grits as the main course, didn't like it. The grits were too thick, I didn't like the flavor of the ham gravy over the grits, and the shrimp still had the tails on them so I had to pick them out with my fingers which was very messy. My husband had the fried chicken with collard greens and hoppin' john. The fried chicken and collards were good, but the hoppin' john wasn't very flavorful. We had pecan pie and huguenot torte for dessert, both were absolutely delicious. The sweet tea is also good here.

Reviewed April 27, 2009

We spent two days at the plantation. The first night we had dinner. It was excellent. All the food was cooked and seasoned to perfection. The service was wonderful as well. The second day we had the three course lunch. It was amazing. Again, the food was seasoned wonderfully and the portions were perfect. I would strongly recommend for either meal. Lastly, the building is very quaint and the view in the spring was colorful.

Reviewed March 20, 2009

My wife and I were in SC last week for a Medical Conference, and as New Yorkers we like to eat out in rare places whenever the opportunity shows and rate them for other people to enjoy.
This particular place is in a Class of its own; 1st of all is located in a Historical place (The 1st and Biggest Rice Plantation and Garden Landscape in the USA), the restaurant is an original building from the 1800´s overlooking the Plantation´s Lake with part of the garden area as a background, while we were ordering our food a gentleman approached our table and kindly introduced himself as the General Manager who didnt hesitate in taking the time to answer any questions regarding the sorroundings and history of the plantation. The waitress was also very curtious while explaining in detail the type of dishes and how they were prepared as if she cooked them herself (she didn´t).
My wife ordered the NY Strip Sirloin which happend to be 2 times bigger than the ones you get here in the finnest restaurants of NYC and as tasteful and soft as if they were cooking it to eat it themselfs, the presentation of the plates were to take a picture.
I ordered the Lamb with some special sauce... This plate was meant no to be finished, (it was the size of the plate Fred Flinstone gets in the drivethrough) and the meat just kept falling of the bone, it was delicious, not to mention the awsome She Crab soup.
When it came to drinks the waitress knew exactly what each cocktail we ordered contained and the glasses were the size as the ones i like to make here at home.
This Place really impressed us not only for the delicious food or the pleasurable staff, but also for the AWSOME location, this is a real historical place and you are allowed to wonder and walk the BEAUTIFUL GIANT GARDENS before your meal, you just gotta time your reservation and the sun setting... what a place!!! I definetely wanted to go back the next day unfortunately that was our last night in SC. I NEVER MENTIONED THE PRICES... we are not restricted to pay the right amount of money for a really good meal and in this case this place needs to increase their prices for the type of delicious food they served, in other words their prices are better than reasonable. The whole meal came out close to $100.00 including drinks and 20% tip not mentioning the entrance to the garden which was already include it.
Go to their web site and check it out, and if you happened to be in that area is NOT a place to miss... Bon Appetite!!!

3  Thank TravelingHealers
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Looking at the brochures for the Middleton Plantation I pictured a something totally different. Maybe to high of expectations. The restaurant did not meet my expectations at all. I guess I don't really know what to expect when it comes to low country cooking. But if Middleton Place Restaurant is the standard. No thanks. We had lunch and the quality of food was not worth the price. The wait staff were courteous and attentive but they seemed to be a bit overwhelmed. My favorite part of the meal was the dessert. The Pecan Pie was very good.