“Best Breakfast in Charleston!”

Bear E Patch Cafe West
Ranked #151 of 938 Restaurants in Charleston
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Saying I was surprised is an understatement! The Cafe is located in a tiny strip mall type place, off the beaten path. Man was I shocked at the food coming out! I didn't know what to try first! I decided on the seafood saute (I think that's what it was), with a generous portion of blue crab claw meat, scallops, and shrimp sauteed over a bed of cheese and grits. The prices were very reasonable for the portion and quality of food. I was so impressed with this little place, I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

My brother took me here while I was visiting. So many things caught my eye but I settled on the seafood saute over grits. Sourdough toast was highly recommended by big bro and it did not disappoint. I suspect there can be quite a wait but ours was about 5 minutes around 11 am on a Saturday. Looking forward to trying the raisin French toast or seafood omelet!

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Great food, great prices. And the owners/staff are wonderful. Their breakfasts Are the best! Great lunches too. It's worth finding!

1  Thank marjmo2311
Reviewed March 19, 2013

What a surprise! I had done all sorts of research for my first visit to Charleston and yet the Bear E Patch was not on my list. Instead, my host insisted we go there for lunch. Little did I know that my first meal of my visit would be my favorite.

I had the Southern Reuben sandwich, fried green tomatoes, and sweet tea. The sandwich was fantastic. The corned beef was not fatty and spiced just enough. The cole slaw (what made it "Southern") was slightly sweet and very crunchy -- it was a great complement to the corned beef. The bread was awesome, too. The menu said it was homemade. It tasted like it. Mmm!

The fried green tomatoes were the best I have ever had. The batter was slightly seasoned and I think the tomatoes were coated with a thin spread of grits before they were battered and fried. I think this because I got to try my husband's grits and they were FANTASTIC and the flavor and texture seemed to be sneakily in my tomatoes, too.

I don't give 5 dots easily. The Bear E Patch is not fancy, but it is homemade stuff and family run and a total surprise. It's a good thing I live on the other side of the country. Otherwise, I would be there every day and would weigh 500lbs!

1  Thank ToniPortland_OR
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We eat here every chance we get when we are in town. The food is always "spot on" and the service is excellent. They have a great stable of soups also, and they are always worth a try. The thing that is so great about this place is not only is the food consistant, but the service is superb. All of the staff look out for the patrons, not just "their" tables. We have never had a bad meal and make it our "regular" eating place.