“We never visit Charleston without having breakfast here!”

Bear E Patch Cafe West
Ranked #176 of 926 Restaurants in Charleston
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“We never visit Charleston without having breakfast here!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Great food, great prices. And the owners/staff are wonderful. Their breakfasts Are the best! Great lunches too. It's worth finding!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank marjmo2311

Portland, OR
“Best meal I had in Charleston -- and that includes Jestine's and Nick's!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

What a surprise! I had done all sorts of research for my first visit to Charleston and yet the Bear E Patch was not on my list. Instead, my host insisted we go there for lunch. Little did I know that my first meal of my visit would be my favorite.

I had the Southern Reuben sandwich, fried green tomatoes, and sweet tea. The sandwich was fantastic. The corned beef was not fatty and spiced just enough. The cole slaw (what made it "Southern") was slightly sweet and very crunchy -- it was a great complement to the corned beef. The bread was awesome, too. The menu said it was homemade. It tasted like it. Mmm!

The fried green tomatoes were the best I have ever had. The batter was slightly seasoned and I think the tomatoes were coated with a thin spread of grits before they were battered and fried. I think this because I got to try my husband's grits and they were FANTASTIC and the flavor and texture seemed to be sneakily in my tomatoes, too.

I don't give 5 dots easily. The Bear E Patch is not fancy, but it is homemade stuff and family run and a total surprise. It's a good thing I live on the other side of the country. Otherwise, I would be there every day and would weigh 500lbs!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank ToniPortland_OR
Ravenel, South Carolina
“Consistant”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We eat here every chance we get when we are in town. The food is always "spot on" and the service is excellent. They have a great stable of soups also, and they are always worth a try. The thing that is so great about this place is not only is the food consistant, but the service is superb. All of the staff look out for the patrons, not just "their" tables. We have never had a bad meal and make it our "regular" eating place.

Kiawah Island, South Carolina
“Solid breakfasts”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Country ham, eggs, real potatoes and homemade biscuits comprise a good breakfast for me. Their many specials each day include all kinds of pancakes and omelettes. The only thing I believe needs improvement is the coffee. For a place that serves breakfast all day the coffee should be outstanding but instead it is slightly acidic and bitter and not rich and aromatic. Service is always fast and friendly. Location is good.

Charleston, South Carolina
“West Ashley's local diner”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have been hearing alot about this place from family so I randomly ate with my wife here yesterday. The place is bright and open and I can see it being a bit noisy at peak times but the decor works. The menu is heavy on breakfast items but I was in the mood for lunch and chose the honey chicken quesadilla with sweet potatoe fries as my side. My wife had a custom made Shrimp Ceasar wrap with fried green tomatoes. The service was on top of it as we were seemingly waited on by three different people. The food arrived promptly like you might expect at a diner. The Quesadilla and the Wraps were very good. The fried green tomatoes and sweet potatoe fries were kind of bland. I was pleased with my experience and I will be back at some point but I was surprised at how much the meal cost for what we ordered.