“Noisy and poor service.”

Bear E Patch Cafe West
Ranked #169 of 933 Restaurants in Charleston
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We've been here a few times in the past year, for breakfast and lunch. I must be missing something that other reviewers are getting. To me, the food is nearly identical to the old fashioned cafe in town. Its a cheap and inoffensive place to grab a bite. I'm not a fan of restaurants pushing their religion in your face when you are just stopping for a sandwich, but I get it. This is Charleston, after all. Just be prepared.
Its very noisy when crowded and pretty drafty in most seats. The food is pedestrian (eg tuna salad, one scoop or two) and largely fried. Breakfast is routine.
The servers are often unpleasant. Often. We stopped by today and were seated, and before we ordered my preschooler started acting unwell. We asked if they could package our order to go, and the waiter sighed and said, "I'll have to see if they can do it." (?). She came back and said (note this is a quote) "They said they can do it, but they will have to fill EVERYONE ELSE'S order first." (waves hands around to indicate all other patrons). Then she simply stared at us.
So I think that's our last visit. The food is simply not good enough to warrant the atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Bear E Patch Cafe West

Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Amanda is an awesome waitress, friendly and enthusiastic, and didn't lead us wrong on her suggestions! Try to leave room for dessert as their fresh made red velvet cake is to die for!!!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good, southern breakfasts served all day! Lunches can be good but lots of items and most are fairly average. Soups should be skipped.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This restaurant is a wonderful nieghborhood place to enjoy good food,good service and very friendly staff. I reccomend the bear e patch highly. The eggs perfectly cooked,crispy bacon and yummy homefries. Can't be beat!!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great tasting soups, sandwiches, and desserts. Big servings for all foods, price is decent too. The building is kinda small, but it is a cafe, so you may have to wait for a seat every now and then.