“Our favorite place”

S & S Cafeteria
Ranked #431 of 967 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We live in Columbia,SC and they closed our location. We miss it very much as we use to eat there all the time. Every time we visit Charleston now we make sure to eat here. The kids meals are .99 and include 1 meat, 2 vegetables, jello, bread, and a drink. You can't beat that anywhere. The food always taste wonderful and lots of choices. My favorite is the veal Parmesan and even if its not on the menu board they will cook it to order. It is better than any Italian restaurant I've eaten at and it's half the price. Their deviled eggs are great too. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!

3  Thank ebrownsc66

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I don't know where else one can eat a complete meal including salad, entree, 2 sides, a roll, dessert and beverage for under $10. S&S Cafeteria has been a Charleston staple since before I was born, originally located on St. Philip Street in Downtown Charleston before opening this location in West Ashley. While the menu has never changed in 30+ years, the food is consistent and very inexpensive.

I love the fact that the offerings are so diverse and that it's an "old fashioned" cafeteria experience where one walks down the line with a tray and picks and chooses each item. The service is outstanding. The dining room ladies are very attentive in making certain that drinks are refilled. In fact I think they have radar because your beverage is never empty.

S&S is one of those places that isn't fancy, but consistently offers a great meal at a reasonable price. If you're expecting a gourmet dining experience, this isn't the place for you; however if you'd like a good, tasty meal at an awesome price, it is a must try. It's rare that I've ever received any bad food here, and the service has always been outstanding. I'm very glad that in this day and age when cafeterias are few and far between that S&S continues to prosper, as evidenced by their filled parking lot every day at lunch & dinner!

The take-out shop on the side of the building is also a great addition if you need to run in and quickly pick up a "to go" meal!

1  Thank mas11068
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Ate lunch here for two weeks straight, Fantastic and attentive waiting staff, drinks were never empty!...The food was good and everything was non-seasoned ..letting you add the salt and pepper as needed..a very nice senior citizen touch. One drawback...on the Cut meats to serve..Roast beef or Ham...the portion sizes are ridiculously to small..I actually paid double because the "cutter lady" wouldnt give me a bigger portion when asked..was bothered alot by that..but the waiting staff made up for the server lacking.

2  Thank Cabbage007
Reviewed November 26, 2012

If you've ever gone to a real cafeteria - not a buffet, then you're in for a treat. The food was perfectly adequate. Nothing special, nothing wonderful, just really great cafeteria food. Definitely try the mac and cheese. :)

4  Thank Chris_Tretta
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We took my wife's grandmother here because it's her favorite place. But I was doubtful. Boy, was I wrong. It was good, inexpensive, and the service was just outstanding. It was wonderful for children, too. A true locals place in Charleston.

3  Thank uniter