“So so”

Marina Variety Store & Restaurant
Ranked #151 of 899 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Large groups, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Americana Style Breakfast & Seafood Diner
Murrells Inlet
“So so”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I ordered the soft shell crab eggs Benedict. My egg was cooked perfectly. The hollandaise sauce was delicious. The soft shell crab was not that good. It seemed to have been frozen and maybe a little freezer burned. The others ordered the crab cake Benedict and said theirs was delicious. I will order that next time. It's a great place to eat breakfast. The views are fantastic early in the morning.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Low country foodie food not where you expect it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Have eaten here twice. Once in the spring, and now in August. Both times, specials have been great. As good as downtown resturants at a fraction of the price. Don't let the 1950's decor fool you. It's part of the ambiance of this local place.

I have only ordered specials here,never set menu items. This time I had a blackened sheep head ( a local fish ) over mango risotto. Not the kind of fare you would expect to find in a local resturant over a bar.

Try it for dinner but only order from the specials. Wine list is very limited

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“I ate here for Lunch and again for Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a very good Restaurant. It is at the Marina so the view is lovely. I ate here for lunch and had a burger. The burger was so big I shared it with my husband. It was very tasty. The waitress was funny and attentive. I liked the place so much I went back for breakfast. And the only compliant there was there was some many things I wanted to try on the breakfast menu! It is amazing. I tried the omelet with fried green tomatoes and shrimp. Wow! Very good. I will come here to eat on my next visit

Miami, Florida
“YUCK!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We had heard that the grits were "to die for good" so we thought we couldn't pass up this possibility. We were seated by a woman who seemed like she had somewhere better to be and we were served by a waiter who is in serious need of training. We ordered and waited and waited for our food. When it finally arrived, I was surprised to see how poorly prepared and presented the food was. Now given the pricing and the type of menu I was not expecting the quality or delivery of a high end eatery - but I did not expect frozen shrimp in the shrimp and grits (especially at a marina restaurant!) The shrimp po' boy again had frozen shrimp and none of the other items that make a po' boy a po' boy. The shrimp wrap was inedible - in fact, not one of us finished our food. We just wanted out but our punishment was to be made to wait and wait for the check. UGH! I hate that there are restaurants like this out there - that so clearly with a little effort and some fresh seafood and proper staff training could be a great "go to". I won't go back - but having said that, the MVSR gets 1 star because the grits are really good!

• Visited May 2013
Greensboro
“Good food, Bizarrely ATROCIOUS Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was on my bachelor trip this past weekend in Charleston, and on Saturday night our big group of 12 guys headed to the Marina Variety Store Restaurant to eat seafood before our big night out. Let's just say that this dining experience was one of the worst I've actually ever had.

We had the room in the bar area on the left of the restaurant. Our waiter was alright, and took our order after about 10 minutes of sitting there, and got us some drinks while we began waiting for our meals. The bartender at the bar was absolutely and totally rude, unconcerned with getting anything for us, never tried to help the waiter deal with a large party by offering to take drink orders (which is why we never got them), and actually responded to a buddy when he asked if they had PBR by saying "no. get a bud light" in a ridiculous tone that matched his ridiculous facial expression, as if he was crazy for asking.

We got seated at 8:00, ordered at 8:10, and were served our meal at 9:05. In the time between ordering and receiving our meals, a party of four had come and sat at a booth, ordered drinks, eaten their meal, and had desert, and left.

When we finally received our meals (which were actually, for the most part, very good once they arrived), the biggest laugh of the night came when the Mahi Mahi which two buddies ordered were served. In no restaurant, on planet earth, should the amount (or lack thereof) of fish ever leave the kitchen. There were (3) bite size morsels of fish on the plate, and coupled with the 1 hour wait to receive our meals, it was the perfect combination for the most atrocious dinner experience ever. But wait...it gets better...

Upon receiving their kids meals (priced at $17.99), both friends alerted the waiter to the lack of fish served, who appropriately responded in agreement "I can't believe they let that out of the kitchen". The self proclaimed "general manager" then came over, asked who ordered the fish, and rudely said "show it to me"....because apparently she needed proof. THEN she said "well, let me go ask my manager", meaning that she had just apparently lied to us about being the general manager.

10 minutes later, she returned with two plates of Mahi, and promptly asked "IS THIS $17 WORTH!?" You simply cannot make this stuff up. This was hands down, the worst, most poorly managed dining experience you could ever have. What restaurant in their right minds treats customers as if they don't matter???? That was the overall theme of the dining experience, and put a bad taste in everyone's mouth as we were just starting a fun night.

I have worked in SEVERAL restaurants where this sort of management, lack of attention, and complete disregard for your customers results in one thing and one thing only- your immediate termination.

I really hope, for the sake of this restaurant, that someone in the management position at the restaurant sees this review, and takes the appropriate actions to ensure that no one else be subjected to this unbelievably poor lack of service. I say this because I have eaten here before, and I do enjoy the food, but will never, ever, go back if this stuff continues.

• Visited April 2013