“Loved it”

Ranked #13 of 938 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Eclectic cuisine focusing on locally sourced foods, vegetarian friendly and gluten free menu. Healthy menu with anti-biotic free meats and 15 years of success.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Would have given 4.5 stars. It's casual, friendly, unpretentious, pleasant. Great server (Steven) and food was very good. Lots of good choices that met with our preferences, and the "loaves" part was very good, too. We were quite happy with our dinner choice and only wish we lived nearby. What a good little gem. Initially, we looked for reviews, but a local highly recommended this place. We were very pleased overall.

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I always go there for the salmon Cobb salad and they always make it the way I like it. I'll usually want my salmon heated and they have no problems with doing so. The service is always awesome and as being a student downtown Charleston this food outlets are a necessity. Five loaves has become one of my faves and it is priced so all can enjoy.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

A little out of the way, but well worth it. If you have a child in school in Charleston, then you know about this place. Fresh food and great waitstaff. Vegetarian or meat lovers, the menu will fit you! You can`t go wrong here!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife and I walked from our hotel on Meeting Street near the Market to this cozy restaurant two blocks off the King Street beaten path this evening. We both love a good meal but can't enjoy ourselves if we feel we're paying out the nose. We were both delighted with our dining experience tonight. Five Loaves is fairly small, with maybe a dozen tables and booths for 2, 3 or 4. There's a back section we didn't see. The clientele was a blend of tourists, locals and College of Charleston students, all ages, dressed from shorts/casual to dressy. The atmosphere was pleasant, warm and intimate without any dominant theme. The wait staff were quite attentive and helpful with menu questions.

Our dinners (blackened swordfish (special for $18) and curried chicken ($13) with a half Arugula and goat cheese salad ($4.50)) were really good. We could have easily paid double at a trendy King or East Bay Street restaurant.

I would rate this one of our best dining experiences for the combination of good atmosphere, excellent service, really good food, and outstanding value.

1  Thank jockdock52
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Five Loaves Café is not to be missed! My wife and I found parking on the opposite corner which was a miracle. Waited around 15 minutes at 1:30 in the afternoon! I did the 3 small soup pours, tomato zucchini, thai vegetable and black bean. Served in espresso size cups was a perfect complement to my sweet chili glazed eggplant wrap. My wife did the roast beef sandwich with a side salad. Also outstanding! Would return whenever in Charleston.

murphyeve, Owner at Five Loaves Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Really appreciate the positive review. Hope to see ya soon.

casey