“What a disappointment”

82 Queen
Ranked #28 of 967 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: King & Meeting
Description: Celebrating Lowcountry cuisine for 32 years. 82 Queen continues to reinvent the traditional South using fresh, local ingredients and modern takes on the classics. The seasonal menus feature authentic Lowcountry cuisine from award-winning she-crab soup to Lowcountry jambalaya and shrimp and grits, all served with gracious hospitality. Enjoy lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch in 19th-century dining rooms or in the brick courtyard underneath a breathtaking Southern magnolia tree. Southern Living and Wine Spectator awards confirm the restaurant as one of the finest dining establishments in the heart of downtown Charleston. Long live the Queen.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were seated promptly but 3 giggling girls at hostess stand tells you that disorganization was on the horizon. Unfortunately it was, we were seated in a area that 12 others had just been seated in a inexperienced young servers section, it was just us two. When she finally came over poured tap water, no choice of sparkling, no specials etc....I ordered a bottle of red wine, and my fiancé a glass of Pinot Grigio...15 minutes later no server, no drinks...she was being kept busy at 7 top in rear, they running her everywhere, drinks wine etc...while ours sat in staging area...I finally got up other server looked behind him and there it sat in the window...her white warm was warm by then, no offer to get another glass, nothing...anyway he was a nice guy took our order...and he accommodated Dawn asking for the crab cakes being served with other sides , I ordered rib eye...when they made it there hers was very good...mine was a cold mess...rare rare...not even cooked enough to have any taste or form...when it returned she had finished her meal.....anyway just a mess here, don't bother to many consistently good restaurants close by... And by the way 180 bucks not close to be worth it.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,602)

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is another gem that we discovered several years ago that we keep coming back to. We always have dinner here and it has been consistently delicious every time. I get the she-crab soup which has won many awards and for good reason. It practically melts in your mouth. I used to get the fried chicken each time, but this year I decided to have the duckling. I'm so glad I did! It was sooo good!! It had a wonderful bing cherry sauce and was served with greens that were cooked to perfection and red rice. The flavors blended amazingly! They also have a great wine and cocktail selection. Additionally, the wait staff has always been super-friendly and helpful. This is a don't-miss restaurant!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The service is terrible and the food is not worth its expensive price tag. The place was under construction while we were eating instead of before or after business hours just a waste of time and energy

1  Thank Farrah M
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

82 Queen is in a great location to many downtown Charleston attractions. There is a parking garage across the street which is great when street parking is full. I had the BBQ shrimp and grits. I didn't like the presentation of the dish. The shrimp were on top of the grits and not mixed in. Also, my food wasn't very warm when it arrived. The waiter did a really good job describing the menu but seem to be working all over the place and didn't check on us as promptly as I would have liked.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Ate with friends past Saturday evening. Options we tried include, Crab Cake appetizer (among the best I have ever had!), Parmesan & Pastachio encrusted Scallops, and a spicy Jambalaya all of which were excellent.

We waited in the bar area for slightly over an hour and the service in the bar was very poor even at times when the bar was slow. The waitress on duty seemed very put off to have to wait on customers!

Aside from that negative impression, our wait staff upstairs where we were seated were exceptionally attentive and took excellent care of our party. Dinner was magnificent and I will make reservations for 82 Queen prior to my next visit to Charleston! Recommend you do the same!