“Fun place- a must stop.”

Bowens Island Restaurant
Ranked #99 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Sammamish, Washington
“Fun place- a must stop.”
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Stopped by on our first full day in Charleston. Found Bowen Island a fun stop but stay with their Shrimp it was the best thing we ordered.

2 Thank Rnothlich

• Korean first
SC
“Exspect to be surprised!!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I finally got to try this rustic off the beaten path resturant and was pleasantly surprised! We dined on a Thursday so the crowd wasn't what I had been told to exspect. The menu is a chalkboard with a half dozen options, you serve yourself and clean up after yourself. That was a little 'odd' but the seafood was PERFECT!!!! I love seafood and boy was I in for a treat. The shrimp and oysters were the BEST. The fish was OK but Whiting is just a bland fish by nature. I can't wait to go back!! Make sure you come hungry.

1 Thank junkbox4us
Chapin, South Carolina
“Prepare for Rustic”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I enjoy this kind of eating.....shared tables with strangers, buckets for your shells, food served on paper plates. If this isn't your kind of place, don't come here. Come for oysters? They give you a lunch tray and you walk down in the basement where the cook is sweating profusely over an open fire steaming the oysters. He works for tips only. You do not want to eat down here. Although they have some tables set up for the tre oyster-shuckers, I felt like I was in a very hot, dirty dungeon. I carefully balance my tray of oysters (why not a bucket to prevent spills?) back up a flight of stairs to rejoin my family to eat. The restaurant will be packed if it is the weekend. No one will help you find a clean table and service is slooooooow. Bowens Island has been around for many, many years and obviously lots of people like it because it has been packed every time I've been. Just know what you are getting into.

2 Thank BKM512
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“EXCELLENT Food, Atmosphere and Service”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was our second experience to dine at Bowens Island Restaurant. Every time we visit the area, we will put this on our to do list. The atmosphere is very casual and restaurant a bit rustic by today's standards. But absolutely THEE BEST seafood, friendliest service, fun restaurant, incredible views with sunset viewing capabilities that I know of. The secret is to get there about 4:45 to get in line for their 5 p.m. opening. They are almost always packed. The wait can be a tad long but well worth it. While waiting enjoy the vista, a local brew, or just simply sit back relax and visit.
The short drive, less than a mile, to the end of the island to get to Bowens Island Restaurant is totally awesome too. You will pass a few stunningly gorgeous island homes. Bowens Island is a very small island with one road in and out.
If I had the choice of a palace or Bowens Island Restaurant for dinner, I would take Bowens anyday.

1 Thank onecent07
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent seafood”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a fun place to go for great seafood. Get there early because the lines get a bit long. It is worth the wait for their fried oysters ar the seafood plate. It is kind of out in nowhere which makes it all the better. You don't want to be in a hurry but that is part of the experience. We take our grandkids there and they enjoy it too.