“Tasty variety of Asian foods”
Review of Osaka

Osaka
Ranked #323 of 936 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Our waiter was a young, friendly guy; eager to please. We ordered a pair of spider rolls and an eel roll for appetizers, and both were delicious. For dinner, we ordered a bunch of plates to share- shrimp Pad Thai, seafood with veggies, chicken with broccoli, General Tso chicken, and Mongolian beef. Everything was delicious, but the Mongolian beef stole the show. The dessert menu is lacking (you have a choice of fried ice cream or fried ice cream), but even that was yummy.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Though I have another "favorite" sushi restaurant that restaurant isn't open on Monday. I have visited Osaka for a birthday celebration in their hibatchi section which was great. Their specials are very good. The menu is big, with a variety of items, soups, salads, apps, and of course sushi. In a nut shell, the Charleston roll was good; spider roll very good, but the Folly roll was excellent. I'll come back for the Folly roll and try some other one next time. Tip: if you like wasabi, make sure you ask for plenty. I ordered take out, but was disappointed to find only a small wasabi side when I arrived home. For the true sushi experience, go explore the variety (and check out what others are ordering) in the sushi bar!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Today we had lunch here for the 2nd time in 6 months and were (again) dissapointed.The "lunch special" sushi rolls were tasteless. We ordered 4 different kinds and they were all bland. The rice was old and gummy, the nori was limp and almost soggy, the California Roll was just avocado and fake crab - no cucumber or tobiko. Incidentally, when I inquired before ordering our server stated that ALL their crab was surimi; they didn't have ANYthing else! When we ordered a "spicy" roll, the chef ignored that part so the server squirted some hot mayonnaise onto a separate dish and brought that to us.The eel roll was not served warm like they usually are at other sushi bars around the country, and none of the rolls had any seasoning or garnish (tobiko) on it. Even some of the pickled ginger was woody and couldn't be chewed. The other plates we saw LOOKED lovely - lots of garnishes on top - but we can only guess they were the more expensive a la carte rolls. However, they,too, must have had the same bad rice, nori, and ginger. Our beers also seemed high at $6. apiece. In short, I can't think of any reason to eat here.

2  Thank Linda G
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I've been here twice on my lunch break with coworkers on my first visit I had the sesame seed chicken which was the best I've ever had in Charleston hands down I love that they give you a bowl of soup and the white rice just love it. On my second visit I had the general Tso chicken which had the right amount of heat and sweetness.

1  Thank Yolo1986
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This restaurant set the standard by which other Sushi restaurants were judged. They have evolved over the years and added to their menu, but the basics remain and are still excellent. By its nature Sushi is expensive, and this restaurant is no exception, but it does offer very good value. There are many diners who are regulars, and have been for years. It has declined marginally since being taken over from the previous owner, but it is still well worth the visit.

1  Thank Glen A