“Don't bother.”

St. Augustine, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't bother.”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Today we had lunch here for the 2nd time in 6 months and were (again) dissapointed.The "lunch special" sushi rolls were tasteless. We ordered 4 different kinds and they were all bland. The rice was old and gummy, the nori was limp and almost soggy, the California Roll was just avocado and fake crab - no cucumber or tobiko. Incidentally, when I inquired before ordering our server stated that ALL their crab was surimi; they didn't have ANYthing else! When we ordered a "spicy" roll, the chef ignored that part so the server squirted some hot mayonnaise onto a separate dish and brought that to us.The eel roll was not served warm like they usually are at other sushi bars around the country, and none of the rolls had any seasoning or garnish (tobiko) on it. Even some of the pickled ginger was woody and couldn't be chewed. The other plates we saw LOOKED lovely - lots of garnishes on top - but we can only guess they were the more expensive a la carte rolls. However, they,too, must have had the same bad rice, nori, and ginger. Our beers also seemed high at $6. apiece. In short, I can't think of any reason to eat here.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Linda G

“Best Asian cuisine in Charleston hands down”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I've been here twice on my lunch break with coworkers on my first visit I had the sesame seed chicken which was the best I've ever had in Charleston hands down I love that they give you a bowl of soup and the white rice just love it. On my second visit I had the general Tso chicken which had the right amount of heat and sweetness.

1 Thank Yolo1986
Charleston, South Carolina
“A favorite choice for Sushi”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This restaurant set the standard by which other Sushi restaurants were judged. They have evolved over the years and added to their menu, but the basics remain and are still excellent. By its nature Sushi is expensive, and this restaurant is no exception, but it does offer very good value. There are many diners who are regulars, and have been for years. It has declined marginally since being taken over from the previous owner, but it is still well worth the visit.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Glen A
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Pretty good food, poor service”
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We came on Christmas Eve with my children and grand kids. We started with some dumplings and wonton soup which were satisfactory. Our main courses included Cashew chicken, Lomain chicken, Mongolian beef, and shrimp with brocoli. The shrimp dish was very bland. The Lomain chicken did not have any chicken so we sent it back. The server seemed to have forgotten so after 15 minutes I went after the Manager who rescued the dish from the kitchen. Our server never did refills and ignored our table. The best dish was the Mongolian beef which was very tasty. We would have given this restaurant 4 stars with some decent service as the food overall is pretty good.

1 Thank bsorge
Charleston, South Carolina
“Won't go there again!!”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I am in the food and beverage industry, started off as a server, later a bartender, being a cook to now a sushi chef. I have always loved Japanese restaurants. I been from here to California, spending ungodly amounts of money on Japanese food. First and foremost, when I sit down in a restaurant, my drink should be in front of me with in two minutes. The host took our drink order and we sat there a few minutes, while my friend and I sat there we had decided what we wanted, because it's lunch time and she had to go back to work. Our server finally decides to grace us with his presence and very nervous and scattered says oh your drinks will be out in a second. Mind you I told the lady no lemon in my water, and the damn water comes out with a lemon, I do not like the taste in my water, but my friend says, just put it on my glass, so calmly I did. The server comes back out and I say we are ready to order and he acted like he was going to walk away and I said even stronger, we are ready to order. Sara and I both ordered off of the sushi menu and then I ordered shrimp hibachi. We got our sushi first, no great, but okay. And I am still waiting for my hibachi and the dude comes back over and says are you ready for your check, I almost fell over, I felt my face getting red and he says oh your hibachi, I forgot. Sara looked at me and says you're about to go off and I excused myself and walked outside. Finally the hibachi comes to the sushi bar, where we were sitting and I look at it and knew that I was not going to be happy and it was far from Japanese Hibachi, more like chinese stir fry, sure enough. I just have no reason to ever go back to that place. I did leave a $5 almost $6 tip on a $33 and something tab. So don't think I am some crappy customer. I know how to treat folks, honestly he didn't deserve a tip. It was not that busy in there. The other servers were walking gracefully, he was just scattered and i only saw him coming to our table. No other employee looked like they were having that problem. It was not busy in the building.

• Visited December 2012